Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Stuck At Creating User Account Screen

I created a Mavericks USB flash drive and booted from it, wiped the hard drive and am doing a fresh install. Everything goes fine until I set up the first user account. Once I click "Continue" it just hangs there.

I've tried this three times now. Second attempt I rebooted and it recovered to that screen, but it made me enter different information because the original acount had been created, but it never got past the "creating..." screen.

The third attempt I reformatted and reinstalled the OS, but still got stuck at that screen.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:17 AM

23 replies

Oct 23, 2013 9:28 AM in response to groberts1980

I should mention this is on a mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro with an SSD in the optical slot and a HDD in the hard drive slot. I'm installing Mavericks to the SSD slot. And if I leave it at the account creation screen long enough it eventually stops processing and locks up.

I've had Lion and Mountain Lion installed in this setup before with no problems. Once I tell Mavericks I want it to install in the SSD drive, it should go ahead and create everything there. Once it finishes I would go in and shift the /users folder over to the HDD and go from there. Can't seem to figure out why this is getting stuck on the account creation screen.

Oct 23, 2013 10:48 AM in response to R-Sal

I removed the HDD from my MacBook Pro and tried the installer again, only this time I forgot to format the SSD. When it finished installing it asked me who I wanted to log in as. The account I had tried creating from before was there. Seems that removing the HDD from the situation may have resolved it. Trying a few more things right now, will post again when I know more.

Not sure what you can do with your rMBPro though. I always prefer a clean install to upgrading, but Apple is making it more difficult. First you have to go through a bunch of steps most normal users wouldn't know how to do, and now we're running into this...

Oct 23, 2013 10:56 AM in response to groberts1980

OK, this is what I did. I did not enable WiFi, I then did not sign in to AppleID, and I did not set timezone automatically with location. When I did all that, I got through the create account screen instantly, and it took me to choose a timezone. At this point, I rebooted and tried a clean install (since this was with a "bad" account name). I'll report back if this totally fixed it, and then others may want to try different combinations. I suspect it is the timezone code.

Oct 26, 2013 12:55 PM in response to groberts1980

groberts1980 wrote:

I created a Mavericks USB flash drive and booted from it, wiped the hard drive and am doing a fresh install. Everything goes fine until I set up the first user account. Once I click "Continue" it just hangs there.

I've tried this three times now. Second attempt I rebooted and it recovered to that screen, but it made me enter different information because the original acount had been created, but it never got past the "creating..." screen.

The third attempt I reformatted and reinstalled the OS, but still got stuck at that screen.

Any ideas?

How did you reformat again after getting hung up on the "Creating Account"? I could never get back to the (or a) screen to reformat... I just took that advice and created yet another account and bypassed the login, etc. and then once at the desktop, I rebooted holding down Option/Alt so that I could start over. I even tried booting from my 'old faithful' GParted disc, but no joy, no matter what I did, I was presented with the Welcome screen for account setup.

I am currently installing Mavericks after my second reformat and will report back how it goes. I would have liked to been able to avoid going all the way through the setup just so that I could reboot into setup...

Gary

Oct 26, 2013 3:40 PM in response to R-Sal

R-Sal wrote:

See my reply, you MUST NOT enter your iCloud data and DO NOT select to choose the timezone automatically.

yes, and thank your for the solution, that is what I did to fix it, my question was, once you find yourself stuck on the "Create Account" how do you get back to the initial setup, I see that the in previous post from groberts1980 he states that he was able to reboot holding down the Option key, I could not find a way to reboot, all I could do was press and hold the Power button to shutdown, then power up. However, even with the USB still plugged in, and the Option key pressed and held, it still immediately went to the Welcome screen.

At any rate, it is fixed, I was just really puzzled by why restarting while holding the Option key did not get me into the scren where you can choose your startup disk, etc. Perhaps only a reboot will do it and not a power up?

Thanks so much for the help,

Gary

Oct 26, 2013 4:54 PM in response to ttx336

This is odd. I just shut down, started it back up holding Option, and it would ask whether I wanted to boot from USB or the hard drive. I would select USB, go into disk doctor and format the drive again and reinstall the OS. Turns out not signing into iCloud and not having it autoset the time zone was the real fix. Holding down Option key with another option to boot from should definitely bring up that boot choosing screen.

Oct 27, 2013 3:33 PM in response to groberts1980

groberts1980 wrote:

Holding down Option key with another option to boot from should definitely bring up that boot choosing screen.

I certainly agree... this is the only time I can remember that it did not work. I tried shutting down and moving the USB stick to the other port but that didn't work so I shutdown again and moved it back to the original port but nothing worked except allowing it to finish up the account creation, then rebooting with the Option key; after that, it behaved as usual. And since I had left the USB plugged in it is obvious that it was not some kind of poor connection in the USB, it took off just fine when only moments before allowing it to complete the account creation the OS seemed to completely ignore it.

Setup Stuck At Creating User Account Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.