Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't turn off iCloud keychain

After my icloud keychain on my MBP running Mavericks failed to sync with my ios devices, I have been trying to turn off my icloud account on my mac as troubleshooting guides have suggested. When I uncheck the keychain icon I get a prompt that comes up asking if I want to keep a copy of the keychain on my mac, delete the keychain, or cancel. No matter which option I choose the icloud keychain is not deleted from keychain access, and the check box automatically re-checks itself. I can not turn off icloud without disabling keychain. Help!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 8:50 AM

Additional info: I have tried to repair keychain, it says there is no problem/ I have attempted to delete the keychain but the option to do so is grayed out. I have tried to kill the icloud keychain process, but when I go to uncheck the keychain box the process starts up again and the problem persists.

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2013 8:50 AM in response to Birdman16

Additional info: I have tried to repair keychain, it says there is no problem/ I have attempted to delete the keychain but the option to do so is grayed out. I have tried to kill the icloud keychain process, but when I go to uncheck the keychain box the process starts up again and the problem persists.

Nov 1, 2013 2:44 PM in response to Birdman16

I finally got mine turned off - it was doing exactly what you described. Here is what I did:

1. Open Safari

2. Choose Safari->Preferences

3. Choose "Passwords"

4. Uncheck "AutoFill user names and passwords"

5. Choose "AutoFill"

6. Uncheck all items

7. Close Preferences

8. Close Safari

9. Reboot

10. Open System Preferences

11. Choose iCloud

12. Select "Sign Out"

Hope it works for you!

Nov 4, 2013 9:17 AM in response to mx250man

mx250man thank you for the tip. I was experiencing several issues with Keychain (will continue to rely on 1Password) and had the exact same problem as the OP...uncheck "Keychain" in iCloud preferences and it would immediately re-check itself. ???

Doing as you suggested resolved the problem. Absurd but I suppose there's a method to that madness somewhere. Or it's a bug that'll get ironed out. :\

Thanks again!

Nov 4, 2013 10:31 AM in response to richsadams

Well, I spoke too soon. Although I was able to uncheck Keychain in my iCloud preferences on my iMac (OS X 10.9) by following the steps above, when I rebooted it was checked again and even after following the steps I'm unable to get it to stay unchecked OR sign out of iCloud - due to Keychain remaining active.

I've signed out of iCloud on my MacBook Air and deleted my account completely from my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s. AFAIK there are no other iCloud services running.

I still cannot get it to uncheck without immediately rechecking itself again and am unable to sign out of iCloud on my iMac...getting this error:

User uploaded file

No idea how to proceed.

Nov 6, 2013 5:48 AM in response to richsadams

The above worked for me on my Imac. It did not on my MBP. I got the exact same message

Keychain is a mess, it has several 'old' keychain passwords from my different device copied. Now I like to restart with a clean chain.

Deactivated keychain on alle my devices (including iphone and pads) except for the mbp ofcourse were i manually deleted all entries in the keychain.

activated one by one the devices again.

after a while, some of the "old" entries appear again...

Nov 21, 2013 6:07 AM in response to Birdman16

You will need to set up keychain correclty in order to turn it off. So follow the guidelines from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5813?viewlocale=en_US in order to set up keychain correctly. Includes phone number verification.

Than reset the network settings (go to: settings / general / reset / network settings) -> please keep in mind that the saved wi-fi passwords will be erased, and than go to settings / icloud and turn off the keychain. This should solve the issue. 🙂

Mar 11, 2014 6:35 AM in response to Birdman16

I had a similar problem on a macbook where I had just added an iCloud account with keychain checked. I was trying to delete it, but it would not because key chain was enabled. But I could not turn off key chain either. I tried the suggested steps found here and on other threads as well but it did not work.

But it got fixed when I actually completed the iCloud "new device added" (not sure of the exact wording) approval process. I had to accept or refuse the request to add this macbook on the other machine. Once I refused it, I was able to de-activate keychain, and then delete my iCloud account on that computer.

Feb 1, 2015 3:33 AM in response to logamberat

Same issue.

I tried going to Keychain Options and changing my Security Code, but that didn't trigger any good behaviour.

I also tried opening Keychain Access and doing first aid, but that didn't help either.

The iCloud Sign-out process appears to be conditional on the Keychain service being de-selected from iCloud, but something is stopping the Keychain process.

I can't turn off iCloud keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.