Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate GarageBand Icon

I have a weird situation as I think Mavericks is still a bit buggy.

I had an old copy of GarageBand on my Mac. It's the old version 6 something.

When I check my app store it never shows that I can update it but the new GarageBand in the store allowed me to download the app for free so I did.

After installation I noticed that both version existing instead of the new one replacing my old. So I dragged the old one into the trash. But for some reason the old icon remained in my LaunchPad and is now associated with my new GarageBand installation. Both old and new icons now point to the new install.

Is there a way to delete the old icon? It appears that the old icon is not retina so it's lower resolution.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 8GB/256GB, Fusion Installed

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:13 PM

19 replies

Oct 24, 2013 3:30 AM in response to JCC123

I did the exact same thing. Downloaded it, got duplicate icons, and it drove me nuts.

What I ended up doing was going back to the app store and seeing garageband was now showing "update". After I clicked it, my older icon began updating and I was able to trash the duplicate in launchpad. So far no problems with opening old projects now.

Oct 24, 2013 4:22 AM in response to JCC123

I had the same problem as it loaded the old iLife 11 suites into a new folder but left the old Garageband icon in Launchpad, it did the same to iWork 09. I made sure that I had all the apps in my purchases & then I went ahead & did a clean install using a bootable usb. Once that was done I was able to install all apps back onto my mac from the app store without the older ones still on my computer

Oct 24, 2013 5:13 AM in response to JCC123

Have you tried clearing the Mac App Store cache?

(Source)

I've occasionally seen issues where Mac App Store downloads failed, with a message saying "The product distribution file could not be verified. It may be damaged or was not signed." Topher Kessler writing at CNET showed a way you can resolve this issue.

When this download problem occurs, it is generally the result of a corrupted file in a cache folder. If you run this command in Terminal:

open $TMPDIR../C/

a folder will open in the Finder showing a number of cache folders for different applications. Delete the com.apple.appstore folder, then quit and relaunch the App Store application and try the download again.

I had a similiar issue with the new version of iWork; all the apps had duplicate icons. What I did was I deleted the problematic apps, deleted the com.apple.appstore folder, emptied trash, rebooted, redownloaded the apps, and my problem was solved. And the procedure is pretty harmless imo—apart from being a little time-consuming. But it's worth trying.

Hope it helps 🙂

Oct 24, 2013 10:29 AM in response to adityaputra

Thanks Adityaputra. I think our issue is slightly different in that it's not the cache that's giving us the problem as all of us downloaded and installed the program successfully. There's something else going on behind the scene.

Update:

After rebooting my machine a couple of times and launching the app store app each time the duplicate icon in the Launchpad disappeared! This is the strangest thing. The problem seems to have fixed itself?

Have any of you tried rebooting your machines to see if this will eliminate your duplicates?

Oct 24, 2013 10:40 AM in response to JCC123

Interesting JCC123, I'll see if it still shows up the next time I reboot. Haven't tried this yet. Still might do a clean install though as I'm not entirely convinced that it didn't create a duplicate version of GarageBand. I did notice that I have an old version (GarageBand 6.05) sitting on my hard drive. I'm actually able to delete/trash this version, but the newer version is locked by the system from deleting/removing it.

Oct 24, 2013 10:47 AM in response to BaysideAyjan

BaysideAyjan,

Yes, I had the same two copies. But you just have to drag the old one into the trash. What my problem was originally is that the deleting of the old GarageBand didn't delete the old icon that was associated with it. It was still stuck in the LaunchPad with the new one. Furthermore, the old icon was pointing to the new version of GarageBand as was the new icon. So 2 icons both pointing to the same GarageBand.

Anyway, rebooting seems to have fixed the problem.

Oct 24, 2013 12:51 PM in response to JCC123

I noticed this, but I also noticed that one of them was now called Garageband 6.0.5 (my old version) beware deleting! the new version of Garageband is a new beast its not an upgrade its a new app, with new features.

Most the instruments are in app purchases, so dont go deleting your old version, with all your instruments (jam packs)

The new version seems to be really cool with interesting linking with ipad version.

I understand not every one wants 2 versions and most (I suppose) will want to purchase all the extras, but make sure you have a back up, just in case.

Oct 25, 2013 5:32 AM in response to Sebwyatt

Most the instruments are in app purchases, so dont go deleting your old version, with all your instruments (jam packs)

Your old JamPacks and Instruments should be available in the GarageBand 10.0. I did not have to do any in-app purchase.

• To make the JamPack loops available, use the command "Rebuild Loop Index" in the dropdown menu at the top of the Loop Browser.
  • The Jam Pack Instruments are in the "Legacy" section of Library Inspector.

-- LĂ©onie

Duplicate GarageBand Icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.