Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can 2009 MacBooks run airplay with mavericks upgrade? not a macbook pro

I upgraded my 2009 macbook, but can't find how to use airplay. I would like to use the mirror mac on my apple tv. Is this possible on my macbook?

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:47 PM

No, this is from Apple Support:

AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion takes advantage of the hardware video encoding capabilities of 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core processors. Hardware video encoding allows AirPlay Mirroring to efficiently deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models have processors that support AirPlay Mirroring:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 5:47 PM in response to nikkinik47

No, this is from Apple Support:

AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion takes advantage of the hardware video encoding capabilities of 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core processors. Hardware video encoding allows AirPlay Mirroring to efficiently deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models have processors that support AirPlay Mirroring:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

Oct 23, 2013 7:34 PM in response to frederic1943

Hi there,

This may be a dumb question, but is Airplay mirroring supported from these older MacBook Pro's now with Mavericks? When I say Airplay Mirroring I really mean the screen sharing feature they tote for Mavericks. I have the Airplay logo in my itunes and am able to play on the Apple TV or both from my computer, but no icon in the menu bar.

Can 2009 MacBooks run airplay with mavericks upgrade? not a macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.