Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I completely remove Bing from Safari

I have tried to remove Bing from Safari by doing the following:

1) Checked that default search enging is google

2) Turned off extensions (and deleted install.mac extension)

3) Searched fo Bing in finder without success

All the discussion suggestions complete the steps above, but they have not worked for me. I'd really like to stick with Google and dont really want to try other search engines

Kind regards

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Western Digital My Book World Edit

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:09 PM

If you have already set the default search engine in Safari as Google that is all that is needed. It will not use any other search engines unless you change the preference. You cannot delete Bing, however unless it is chosen it will be ignored when doing searches.

42 replies

Oct 23, 2013 3:46 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Something weird going on with my Safari (and I have reset it as well)

Clicking on the magnifying glass I get Google, Yahoo! and Bing -> Google is ticked, but there is no manage search engines option. (however, I do see it in Firefox)

When I search for something I get www.install.mac..... , followed by Bing upon retrieval: e.g.

http://search.installmac.com/results.html?c=8&v=insMac&q=

http://www.bing.com/search?

Appreciate your help

Oct 25, 2013 12:09 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I am clearly not doing something right, but I am not sure how to snag the same picture

My Default web browser is Safari (5.1.10)

Default Search Engine = Google (Bing is available in the drop down, but Google is ticked)

Safari opens with = A new Window

New windows open with = Homepage

New tabs open with = Homepage

Homepage = www.apple.co.uk

Remove Histroy items = After one month

Save files to = Downloads

Remove download list items = manually

Jan 31, 2014 11:41 AM in response to CP71

Hi Fellow Frustrated Mac Users,

I wanted to let you know how I got rid of Bing from my mac. This worked after loads of searching on the internet, resetting my web browsers, deleting cookies and caches, resetting the homepage, etc. I finally called APPLE. It was a virus called Genieo. You will want to go to spotlight and search for it. You will find the date that it was downloaded. Throw it in the trash. Then go through all your applications looking for genieo, and through your library. You may want to call APPLE Care if you have it.

Aimee

Jan 31, 2014 12:16 PM in response to aimeecastor

aimeecastor wrote:

Hi Fellow Frustrated Mac Users,

I wanted to let you know how I got rid of Bing from my mac. This worked after loads of searching on the interne

There are dozens of entries here regarding it, so I'm not sure why you were unable to find it.

It's "adware" not a virus and they even have a web site which tells you how to remove it, but that often leaves pieces behind, so your best bet is to carefully follow the instruction at Adware Removal Guide : Genieo.

Mar 5, 2014 4:53 PM in response to Carola Delong

Carola Delong wrote:

What shall I do? How do I check?

Run through all the locations mentioned in TheSafeMac's "Adware Removal Guide : Genieo" link I gave above. I haven't figured out where the "Application" ends up yet. You should be able to see it running in Activity Monitor, but I need to check to see whether it ends up in your /Applications directory (folder) or somewhere else.

How do I completely remove Bing from Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.