Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view 2-up spreads in Pages 5!!

This is a major mess-up. I can't view, let alone edit, my Pages document in 2-up mode since upgrading to Pages 5. If Apple's really interested in attracting pro customers, they need to hire pros as consultants during the UI and features develeopment phase. Viewing 2-up should have been a no-brainer since most publications are composed in 2-up... Pagination is done at the prepress stage, but I digress.😠

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:23 PM

31 replies

Oct 23, 2013 11:30 PM in response to MacinTekCEO

With 27" screens and no ability to view 2 pages side by side? I frequently use this feature. I understand this is a ground up rewrite but it looks like we're going to go through the same pain Final Cut pro users went through with Final Cut X - it took up to a year before Final Cut X got back some essential features.

Thankfully it doesn't overwrite Pages 4.x/09. I hope they begin adding those features back to the new Pages, but for now the 2 up view is really important for me to get an overview of the content.

Oct 24, 2013 8:17 PM in response to MacinTekCEO

I completely agree. This is the FIRST thing that I noticed. I always view pages side by side. This functions more like a fancy PDF than a word processor.

For my work I generally need pages within the document to have different orientations as well. This still is not an option with Pages.

I'm not sure what the benefit of adding music and video to a word processing document is supposed to be, but at least that valuable functionality is there should I ever drop acid and need to go that route.

I really wanted to 86 MS Word and its plethora of bugs but it looks like i'm still stuck.

Exceptionally disappointed.

Oct 27, 2013 5:17 PM in response to bablemem

Youch! No two-page spreads? This hurts! Also, no static styles menu and no hotkey assignments for frequently used styles. Copy/Paste of styles seems to be the workaround. I don't think features should be added just to make a new version but I wouldn't think standard and established features would be REMOVED! Seems like the rewrite needs another look. Unless something changes, our 600 plus Macs at work won't be upgraded any time soon.

Nov 16, 2013 1:44 AM in response to Peggy

Thanks. I was told categorically by an Apple engineer that only Pages 5 would work on Mavericks so I didn't bother trying. Also a colleague told me the older version crashes under Mavericks. However you both have given me hope so I'll try it. Can't remember how I originally installed Pages 09 on the old Mac but I don't think it was AppStore.

Thanks though! I will try and find the original disks and get it installed somehow.

Nov 16, 2013 8:04 AM in response to Pottedjam

I updated my Macs to OSX Mavericks (which I am happy with) and the new Pages 5, but I found it impossible to use Pages 5 because so many features are missing (including 2-up display).

I removed Pages 5 and went back to Pages '09. I found that Pages '09 crashed repeatedly with OSX Mavericks on my Macbook Pro (15 inch retina display mid 2012) but it has yet to crash with OSX Mavericks on my 13 inch 2013 MacBook Air.

Nov 16, 2013 3:43 PM in response to deannafromnorwich

Running Mavericks, iWork 09, and iWork 13 on a MacBook (early 2009), iMac (late 2012),and a MacBook Air (mid 2013) - all working well since Oct 20. I did not ( and will not) delete my iWork 09 folder and apps after updating iWork apps. There are files located in Application Support, Preferences, and possibly Receipts that may be needed for re-installation of iWork 09, I don't have the list handy.

Bizarro iWork 13 launch should have waited until 2014.

Nov 19, 2013 1:40 PM in response to Peggy

I really need iWork 09 to function under Mavericks, but have failed so far. I have the iWork 09 disk, and the install goes fine, but the app will not launch (error message on launch). Can I even re-buy Pages 4.3 on the app store? Do I have to do that? I will have to go back to Lion if I can't get Pages and Keynote un-"upgraded". 😠

Thanks for any help or advice!

-Mat

Can't view 2-up spreads in Pages 5!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.