Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the apple id to update apps from Appstore on mac

Hi, can somebody please help me?

Last time, I was using my father's apple id for the appstore on my macbook pro. (Now, i have my own apple id.) Sometimes when there's apps that i want to update, a window would pop out to ask me to sign into my father's apple id, but i want to update the apps using my own apple id. Is there anything i could do to use my own apple id to update the apps? Please help me!

App Store-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9), App Store on MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 9:49 AM

126 replies

Jul 5, 2017 2:58 PM in response to caquintella

You need to erase her Mac and set it up as a new Machine using her Apple ID, and purchasing any apps she needs or wants with her Apple ID signed into iCloud, iTunes, and the App Store. She should also have only her ID signed into FaceTime and Messages. Here's how to get the Mac back to the bare basics:

What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

Sep 29, 2018 1:07 PM in response to SystemsGo

I had the same problem but fixed it.

All you need to do is search for the new IOS and download on new ID by clicking 'get'. My IOS update was associated with another apple ID and I tried to update loads of times. In the end I though - just search for the app afreash and try that. It works.

Hope this helps.

I joined the forum especially to share this as it has been driving me mad!!!

Apr 4, 2017 10:35 AM in response to sengguohong

I struggled with the same problem and finally figured out what was causing the sudden problem with seeing my son's Apple ID pop up when I was getting messages that 6 Apps had updates available.

Instead of "Update All", I clicked on the 2nd available update and it worked just fine like it always used to. I did the same with the subsequent App Updates. The only one that was popping up the window with son's user ID was the very first one. So apparently he had used my MBP to install a free App and that APP was placed at the top of the update queue so it was blocking any other Apps to get updated with my own ID.

Now that that problem is solved I tried to remove my son's app so I avoid this problem in the future but just moving it to Trash from the Applications Folder does nothing.

Do I need to sign out of my User ID and get his Apple ID Password to be able to uninstall it?

Apr 4, 2017 8:41 PM in response to Sparty87

You need to go on to your phone and remove the app. If you have a phone using 3D Touch, then lightly touch and hold your finger over the app until they all start to wiggle. Then click on the "x" in the upper left-hand corner to delete it. Then you can redownload it if you wish as long as your Apple ID is signed into the iTunes & App Store on the device.

Cheers,

GB

Oct 6, 2017 11:47 AM in response to sengguohong

From a terminal, I did this:

sudo mkdir /OldApplications sudo mv /Applications/SomeOldApplication.app /OldApplications

and the App Store STILL thinks it needs an update. I do not want to delete it out right, because my boss installed it, but he does not have time to run around to every stupid mac in our office to install updates to some program I never use.

Dec 13, 2013 5:20 PM in response to Dah•veed

This appears to be a bug in the design of the App Store/OSX then:

If two users have administrative rights on the same box, with seperate Apple IDs, then the AppleID for a core app (say, iPhoto) would become linked to whatever admin ran the 1st update on that app forever.

e.g.,

* User 1 sets up the family box and creates 2nd account with admin rights (normal stuff there)

* User 2 is logged in when the app store pops an update for iPhoto

* User 2 allows the update using her credentials

* User 1 can no longer update iPhoto w/o having access to User2's AppleID-password

Dec 13, 2013 6:26 PM in response to dumpsterdave

Except that isn't how new Macs work since the advent of the Mac App Store. The Mac, OS X, and the preinstalled iLife apps are permanently associated with whatever Apple ID originally configured the new Mac. And if the person who configured the new Mac did not accept the iLife apps into their Apple ID prior to using any one of the three apps, then those apps become one trick ponies and cannot be updated.

Dec 15, 2013 1:54 PM in response to dumpsterdave

You still don't get it! iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand are NOT core apps. They are not part of the apps installed with an update or upgrade of any version of OS X. They are MAS apps, they have MAS receipts in their app bundle and they would cost money if you had to buy them them from the MAS (as many people do.) They just happen to be given free by Apple with the purchase of a new Mac.

However, when a new Mac owner first sets up their new Mac, they must Accept the iLife apps into their MAS account before using any one of the three apps. If they don't, allthree apps cannot be upgraded.

Yes, they are updated through the MAS. Core Apps are not updated through the MAS, they are installed when OSX is updated through the MAS. Two very different processes.

How do I change the apple id to update apps from Appstore on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.