Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late 2013 + Mavericks + USB Sennheiser - input freeze

Hi

Since Mavericks i have a problem with my USB Sennheiser Headset.

When i connect it directly to the iMac, every time i start FaceTime or mumble, after 30 seconds? 1 Minute? the microphone get very noisy/scratchy.

After i attached an old USB 2.0 Hub to the iMac and connect the USB Headset to the USB hub, the Microphone is ok.

But after that i had 3 times freeze of all input devices ( usb Mouse, wireless magick mouse, wireless keyboard) in 6 hours.

I need to hard shutdown the system.

Last time i saw this error message in the log.

24.10.13 22:56:03,000kernel[0]vtd[0] fault: device 0:20:0 reason 0x6 R:0x1305000
24.10.13 22:56:03,000kernel[0]USBF: 9437.472 AppleUSBXHCI::UIMCheckForTimeouts - HSE bit set:15 (1)

Someone have some idea?

Thx

René

(Sorry for the bad english)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 3:51 PM

201 replies

Oct 28, 2013 6:45 AM in response to fisihh

I have the same problem. New Imac 27" late 2013 and Sennheiser headset.

The microphone on the headset works just fine for a while and after a minute or so it starts to get noisy. I'm wondering if the problem is with the Imac or new OS Mavericks. When I'm using the same headset and Softphone client on my older MacbookPro there's no problem. I haven't updated the Macbook OS since I'm afraid the problem might be because of the OS Maverics also.

The problem happens when I'm using Telepo Softphone client on calls and the problem is only with the mic.

Mikko

Oct 30, 2013 3:28 PM in response to fisihh

I just moved from an older iMac to a late 2013 27" and have usb headphone problems. I've used this Logitech headphone for a few years with good success on my old iMac 24. But now after a few minutes I get a lot of noise. I believe there was no problem before Maverick but am not sure of that.

I also know now if I use both USB ports on my keyboard, the iMac locks up. Looks like Maverick has several USB issues.

It is also strange that the new iMac does not recognize the keyboard that shipped with it, a USB device.

Oct 31, 2013 9:30 AM in response to fisihh

Also going to throw a +1 in here so someone might notice, I am having the same issues described with the same logging in Console.

Just got a brand new late '13 iMac 27" with Mavericks, though I have a lot of USB devices (e.g. a completely full 9-port USB hub) and it'll take me some time to narrow down which one is causing the problem. Since most people are talking about USB headsets, I assume it's the Logitech G930 I got with this computer.

Freeze causes keyboards and mice to fail, but I can still SSH into the machine and do stuff there.

Oct 31, 2013 11:34 AM in response to Dy4

Hi!,

I spoke with Apple Care and I followed the steps for zapping PRAM (?), reboot iMac, and press ALT+CMD+R+P for a few seconds until you listen 2 times a sound. After this, I connected my headset on the iMac and I had a conversation for 20 minutes without any noise!.

It works for me. 🙂

I don't know if this could resolve the problem in the keyboard.

Nov 1, 2013 3:04 PM in response to fisihh

Same here.

I'm using an Griffin iMic for audio input on iMac late 2013.

After Mavericks installation (clean install) I have noisy sounds on the input. The mic from the iMac works fine, but the quality is not good enough.

Noise voice is starting after 1-5 minutes.

If I use a USB 3 hub, I dont have the noisy voice, but the input hangs after 10 minutes completly. Clock and other icons in the menu are working...but no input until I shut it down completly.

Other devices like a USB 3 HDD or my Logitech mouse are working fine all time.

Nov 2, 2013 11:10 AM in response to fisihh

One thing I forgot to mention is that all of my peripherals are plugged into a USB3 hub, which seems to play a role in what's been happening for other people.

I tried unplugging my Logitech G930 headset from the hub, but still got unrecoverable input freezes. After Kibbutz mentioned his Griffin iMic, I also tried unplugging mine from the hub. Since having done that, I haven't had an input freeze in 12 hours, which is looking better than the ~10 minutes or so I could get without the machine freezing. I am also using all of my other peripherals (couple of HDDs, headset, iPhone cables) without issue.

I'm going to wait a little longer to make sure that the Griffin iMic is the factor that's causing these freezes for me, then try plugging it both through a USB2 hub and directly into the iMac to see if it's an issue being coupled with my USB3 hub.

Also, for what it's worth I haven't been having these noisy audio problems (not yet anyways). I'm just really glad to be able to use my computer for more than a couple minutes at a time.

iMac late 2013 + Mavericks + USB Sennheiser - input freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.