Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my music have a red circle with a square dot beside it?

On my iPad 3, in music, some of my songs have a red circle with a square dot, the songs are grayed out and I am unable to play them. Is there a new setting with ios 7? Does it no longer play mp3's?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 6:22 PM

29 replies

Dec 14, 2013 3:33 PM in response to rdkendrick7734

Here's what I had to do, no thanks to the others on here who go at it like Apple, delete and restore.

No, you don't have to delete and restore. Just open a folder on your computer, call it something like iPad music, keep it open, open iTunes, select all your music, copy and paste it in the folder you just created, delete all your music from iTunes (relax, you just copied it into that folder). Select all the music in that folder, drop it back onto your playlist. Now, I renamed my playlist, because it was called untitled, originally, so if that doesn't work, rename, or delete and recreate your playlist, copy the music back over, sync, and they will play.

Worked for me, anyhow. Good luck!

<Edited by Host>

Oct 24, 2013 7:40 PM in response to Robertzamora19

You don't have to restore your whole iPad. Just select all your music and copy it to a folder. Then, delete all your music from your playlist.

Select all your music from the folder, drop it back onto your playlist and let it copy back, then re-sync. Your music is now un-grayed and no GD red circles with square fuc*ing dots.

Select all your music, right-click, get album artwork. Sync. Fixed.

No erase your whole iPad and restore it all. That's like scraping all the paint off your car to fix one spot, then repainting the car.

Oct 25, 2013 6:16 AM in response to rdkendrick7734

Have 4S, and after upgrading software to ios7, 90% of my music had the red circle with square. No re-sync attempts, including full restore of phone succeeded in getting music to play on my phone. Found a solution, while not perfect, got all my music onto the phone and playable. Go to music at bottom of phone display screen. Then select "More". At bottom of this list is an option "Shared". Select that, and you will see two new options, iPhone and Library. Check on the second one, "Library". When I checked Library, magically my music library poured into my phone, and everything is now playable. Have no clue how this worked, but the music is now there. You will have to rebuild your playlists on the phone, which is a hassle, but at least you have your music..

Oct 25, 2013 7:14 AM in response to toadhall4

I appreciate the help. I am using an iPad, and I don't see the same options. I already took care of my problem by copying all my music to a folder, deleting all my music from the playlist, re-adding all my music back into my playlist, then syncing. This worked, but I seemed to have lost some music somewhere. Darn Apple and their updates. They were no help at all. I even restored my PC and lost some files, that, with some searching, I could probably get back, but it was work that didn't need to be done, and I will never get that wasted time back. Frustration, too.

I'm glad you got your music fixed, and thanks, again.

Rdkendrick7734

why does my music have a red circle with a square dot beside it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.