Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the latest version of keynote but it won't open files....says I need a newer version

Latest Keynote app was downloaded wirh Maverick update. My keynote files won't open and error message says I need to download latest version. I cannot download newer version (have latest version already) because my purchases say I have already installed it. Any ideas how to fix this?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 9:34 PM

19 replies

Oct 28, 2013 7:43 AM in response to Cris Berman

I have the same problem. And apparently the version of Keynote in my application folder (under iWork '09) is 5.3.

But, I downloaded Keynote 6.0 from the App Store (twice) and still only 5.3 shows up in my application folder.

Any help understanding why 6.0 once downloaded from the App Store but does not show up anywhere on my HD?

Any help getting rid of Keynote 5.3 and getting Keynote 6.0 to show up?

Thanks.

Nov 24, 2013 5:31 AM in response to nmdial

I'm having the same problem, but had already ascertained that if I right click the file and use Open As then it gets the latest version. I guess this is effectively the same thing as dragging the file to the dock icon.

However, I really would like a proper solution to this as the machine on which it is happening is used in a church for presentations and is operated by non techie staff who are used to double clicking the file name.

It works fine on another machine I upgraded, and I have also ascertained that it works OK if I log in as a different user on this one so it's probably a prefs issue, however. I have tried deleting plist files to no avail. Any other ideas ?

May 27, 2014 1:53 PM in response to clouldwatcher

I have just the same issue. I have the latest version installed. I did work on the file this afternoon, cannot open it anymore with the current version of Keynote (6.2)
User uploaded file

It seems that Keynote fails to save the presentation in the right way.

In the Finder the Show package contents command is active when Control-clicking the file. Keynote files that open correctly in Keynote do not offer to show their package contents. I also realized that the .key file not opening is only 135 KB, which is pretty scarce for a presentation.

I suppose this is a file corruption issue, which is needed to fixed by Apple. I'm affraid the contents of those files are gone.

Jan 29, 2015 7:38 AM in response to clouldwatcher

Here's what the problem was for me at least. When you open a document in Keynote from Box (not sure about Dropbox) when Keynote saves it back to Box it does so in a way the latest Keynote on the Mac can't open it. BTW, these are all the latest versions. The fix is to Show Package Contents by right-clicking on the Keynote file in Box. Inside you will find a folder title Index. This folder should be compressed (zipped) but for some reason the iOS Keynote does not do this. You can compress it yourself by right-clicking on the folder and selecting Compress Item. Delete the original Index folder (if it's still there). You should now be able to open the document in the desktop version of Keynote.

Oct 3, 2016 8:58 AM in response to clouldwatcher

What worked for me was uninstalling Keynote (I used CleanMyMac 3, but perhaps you could just drag it to the trash) and reinstalling the most recent compatible version from the App store.

My Macbook Air had been repaired and the SSD was replaced. It had a clean install of El Capitan. When setting things back up, I simply was using the pre-installed Keynote (6.5). There were no updates offered for this in the App Store, except for an offer to install Keynote 7.0, which is not compatible with El Capitan. So after uninstalling Keynote 6.5, restarting the Mac, and then downloading the most recent COMPATIBLE version of Keynote (6.6) from the App Store, everything was fine. My presentation that previously would not open will now open just fine.

I have the latest version of keynote but it won't open files....says I need a newer version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.