Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: iTunes 11.1.2 keeps crashing when sync with iPhone 5

I'd updated iOS7 (the latest), Maverick and iTunes 11.1.2. While everything is working fine independently, when I try to sync my iPhone 5 with iTunes, it just hangs at "Finishing Syncing..." forever. A few minutes later, iTunes just quit unexpectedly (crashed!!!).

I repeated syncing a few more times but same thing happens. I have no luck so far but wonder if anyone has similar experience with iPhone 5 or any other model and if a solution is found.

I will not sync any more until Apple has an update for any of their software to fix this. iPhone is backed up in iCloud so I am safe but I would like to change music from time to time but it seems a little unstable so far

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 17 inch (Late 2011), 512 SSD, 16Gb

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 1:43 AM

44 replies

Oct 25, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Blue Print

I've updated to the latest Mavericks 10.9, iTunes 11.1.2, iPhoto 9.5, IOS 7.0.3. Using an iphone 5, during the sync process iTunes hangs up on "uploading photos" forever, and then crashes. Happens EVERY time. I've restored the iPhone 5, reloaded iTunes and iPhoto - no help.

If I turn off "Sync Photos from iPhoto" (no photo sync at all), the sync completes successfully with the iphone 5.

Oddly enough, the same computer/setup syncs just fine with an iPad with IOS 7.0.3. So something is buggy in the sync with the iPhone 5.

This needs a fix!!

Oct 26, 2013 8:13 AM in response to mintchocicecream

I have discovered the specific cause of my issue (cannot sync photos).

We have two networked computers. All the latest versions are on both computers. (Mavericks, iTunes 11.1.2, iPhoto 9.5, IOS 7.0.3)

The iPhoto library is on a separate hard drive attached to Computer1 via firewire. Syncing to IOS devices works fine from Computer1.

Computer 2 on the network (ethernet) uses the same photo library for iPhoto (iPhoto on Computer2 accesses the iPhoto library on hard drive attached to Computer1). iPhoto works fine on Computer2, no issues. However, when trying to sync photos to an IOS device via iTunes from Computer 2, the photo part of the sync hangs up on "Importing Photos", runs forever, and always causes an iTunes crash after awhile.

I copied the iPhoto library directly to the hard drive on Computer2, and redirected iPhoto on Computer2 to use that copied library now on Computer2. iTunes could then complete syncing from Computer2, including photos, with no problem.

So iTunes has a bug syncing photos to an IOS device when the photo library used by iPhoto on that computer resides on a different networked computer (accessed over a home network). Note this all worked fine prior to upgrading Mavericks, iTunes, and iPhoto.

Note that iPhoto has no problem with this configuration.

Oct 29, 2013 1:39 AM in response to Wilsonio

I have the same problem. Using the latest Mavericks OS on latest iOS 7.0.3 on latest iTunes on 15" MBP with iPhone 5S. Sync crashes at "importing photos".

My iPhoto library is on the same computer, not on network. But the problem is still there. So it is not the network issue. In order to complete the Backup and Sync process, I had to UNCHECK Sync my photos (disheartenly) I also noticed the syncing is taking much longer than previously.

Probably the bug is between iTunes between Mavericks and iOS. Hope they fix this bug pronto. 😐

Oct 29, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Blue Print

Same here - trying to downlaod and install iOS 7.0.3 to my iPhone5Same on iTunes 11.1.2 under Mavericks causes iTunes to crash shortly before finsihing (or right at) the iOS download.

One might be tempted to say that Mr. Cook is more concerned with making his numbers to keep his job rather than focusing on quality softare releases. One might say that. I wouldn't of course.

Nov 1, 2013 7:53 AM in response to Blue Print

I was having this same problem with iTunes crashing. At first thought it was just iTunes, but then realized it was happening while syncing to my iphone via wifi.

After a few days of this I got a message that the computer could not backup my phone because my phone backup was corrupt.

On my computer, going to iTunes, Preferences, Devices... selecting my phone and the option to delete backup, then triggering a fresh backup was easy, and seems to have resolved the iTunes crashing problem for me.

YMMV

Good luck!

A

Re: iTunes 11.1.2 keeps crashing when sync with iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.