Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.iconservice agent problems mavericks

the com.apple.IconServicesAgent process goes over 99% CPU and blocks Finder operations

killing the process with the Activity Monitor things go back to normal

what else could i do to slve this problem?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Snow Leopard to Mavericks upgrade

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 10:28 PM

19 replies

Oct 27, 2013 11:18 AM in response to lingem

Is this the way to do it?

Below is an executive summary version of Eric's instructions, with a fix to get repquota working:

1. Create a root shell session in Terminal with sudo -s, providing your admin password when asked.
  2. Create an empty quota options file with touch /.quota.ops.user.
  3. Run quotacheck -a to generate a list of drive space used by user. This is the step I had to add.
  4. Run repquota -a to list the drive space used by each user. The previous command creates the list, and this command displays it. I don't know why this command alone didn't work on my system, but it didn't.
  5. Enable quotas by typing quotaon /. (You can turn them off again with quotaoff /.)
  6. Set quota limits for a given use by typing edquota -u username. This will put you in a vi editing session, where you can set both hard (cannot be exceeded) and soft (can be exceeded for a certain period of time) limits on drive space and inodes (files).

Oct 28, 2013 9:57 PM in response to 56friedl

I discovered it's some app start on login related...

probably all of us had upgraded OS X Maverick, not a clean installed one.

Can you confirm us?

The IconServicesAgent is now using only 21.4MB of memory after I disabled some apps from "Login Itens"

- KeyRemap4MacBook

- Moon

I opened both apps now and the resources is the same 21.4MB, without changes.

##### TESTED

Yes, it works for me.

Go to Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Itens

Note and disable some apps: select with cursor and click on "-"

Reboot and look at Activity Monitor if the procedure was successful.

Open the app you disabled from startup and look if it changes the memory/cpu usage.

Dec 27, 2013 6:36 PM in response to 56friedl

56friedl, I appreciate you suggestion and would like to implement it but I probably lack the skills.

I executed the terminal commands you suggested but they did not quite work for me. All the commands executed without error, but they don't seem to have done anything. After each command, I was returned to the next command line. That is, no list of users or info to edit was generated. I used the edquota command you give in step 6 using the name of the users listed in Activity Monitor, and even that doesn't seem to kick me into vi or to do anything at all for me.

Is there a text file that vi is supposed to edit? Maybe I could forget Terminal and just make the edits using Text Wrangler or another text editor? Or is it a binary file that needs editing, and if so is there a Mac editor app for it?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 29, 2014 8:10 PM in response to 56friedl

I was having several issues with IconServices. First it was large memory usage. Later is was high CPU usage. Right now it's hovering around 10MB which is better than the 300MB I was seeing before. Here is what I did to to get it to behave better:

Open terminal and type:

cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist ~/com.apple.finder.plist.backup

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist&&killall Finder

This seems to restart the IconServices process and make behave better. This lasted about a week. Next I noticed that the IconServices process was taking up a large amount of CPU usage, but the process was running as an alternate user. I also noticed several read/write errors in the log. All related to /var/folders. The runaway process might be related to not having access to the /var/folders. So I force quit the other user's process and then ran:

sudo chmod -R o+rxX /var/folders/*

This will allow all users to read/write to everything in /var/folders.

Next I rebooted. This seems to have solved the memory and CPU problem, atleast temporarily. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and report back.

Feb 16, 2014 6:12 PM in response to brun064

The memory issue re-appeared a few days later. I examined the logs in Console and was getting several read/write errors. Turns out my hard drive was failing. I replaced the hard drive with a SSD and re-installed. The performance boost was amazing. After re-install, IconServices was up to 100MB at one point, but then dropped down to 16MB after a day or so. Unfortunately, I cannot say if my experience was an issue with OSX or the hard drive.

com.apple.iconservice agent problems mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.