Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library through Home Sharing dissappears from devices

It's been discussed in several threads, but mainly is described as a network or AppleTV problem, while it's not. It's a simple problem:

Every time a device (AppleTV or Remote app) stops using Home Sharing for a moment, that device stops seeing the PC iTunes library anymore. You have to go to the PC, turn off the home sharing, although it says it's on, then turn it on again. Then iTunes is back in the list. Until next time you stop playing for a while or just close the remote app.

Then it goes away again.

It's even by device.

For example:

Restart Home Sharing, so my iTunes Library is well visible on AppleTV and Remote App.

Then start playing a movie on AppleTV and play with the Remote app

Close the remote app in the iPhone. Reopen it. iTunes is missing now - Home Sharing needs to be restarted to reappear. In the meantime AppleTV still sees it, as the movie never stopped.

That is ridiculous behaviour and started with latest iTunes update few days ago. However I downgraded to 11.1.0.126 and it didn't help.

My system is iTunes 11.1.2.31 on Win7 Pro. I can reproduce that issue 100% of the tries

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 1:20 PM

3 replies

Dec 3, 2013 1:26 PM in response to enterfornone

@enterfornone. Have you had any further luck with this issue? As i have EXACTLY the same problem and can reproduce the fault 100% of the time as you do.

I can add also, that if using the iPad/iPhone Remote App and you never power the device off, home sharing will operate indefinately. The fault occurs once the device is shut done and re loaded.

Very frustrating....

Apr 17, 2014 4:09 PM in response to enterfornone

I've invested a bit of time investigating Home Sharing iTunes and "Wake on Demand" issues with my iMac and ATV3. I have repetability with the issue of ATV3 dropping home sharing, I'm closing in and will post again once I've nailed this. Be sure to read the "Wake On Demand" thread below.

See this link for a poster solving his Home Sharing problem:

Link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5834507

Excerpt:

I finally have SOLVED my Home Sharing connection problems. I've been unable to wake my iMac to connect to iTunes from an Apple TV2 for all of the Mavericks builds. I've followed a lot of discussions on the subject and tried everything I found. But then I stumbled across some conversations about there being TWO was to share in iTunes - and that one should use one or the other but not both. Using both apparently leads to conflicts. The two methods are 1) 'Share my library on my local network' in iTunes>Preferences>Sharing and 2) Home Sharing in iTunes File>Home Sharing. So I unchecked 'Share my library on my local network', quit iTunes, restarted my iMac and opened iTunes. I still wasn't able to wake my iMac from sleep with the Bonjour Sleep Proxy from the ATV until I then Reset the Apple TV - not Restart, but Reset and then update. That was a week ago and I am now able to reliably and consistently wake by iMac from sleep for Printer Sharing, Printopia from an iPad and with an Apple TV for music streaming. Do hope this help0s someone else..

Troubleshooting Home Sharing http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2972

"Wake on Demand"

Link:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

Excerpt:

The wireless network you use with Wake on Demand should be the first wireless network in your list of Preferred Networks. The wireless network priority can be set within the Network pane of System Preferences using the following steps:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences…

From the View menu choose Network.

Select Wi-Fi from the list of network interfaces.

If the padlock icon in the lower left is locked, click it. When prompted enter an admin name and password to unlock.

Click the Advanced… button.

In the Preferred Networks list under the Wi-Fi tab, click and drag the name of your network that uses Wake on Demand to the top of the list.

Click OK to save the settings.

Click Apply, then close System Preferences

iTunes Library through Home Sharing dissappears from devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.