Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad has no sound

My iPad has no sound. Already tried rebooting and resetting (not to factory setting) but still it has no sound. Although alarm could be heard. Sometimes the sound appeared seconds after the iPad is switched ON and sometimes the sound appeared randomly when using the iPad. What's more, the volume bar (the thing that is use to increase/decrease the volume on screen) is gone! Neither when using the volume changer (beside the iPad) nor on control centre (so it is left blank). There is sound when using headphone but if it's left switched OFF, it did not produce any sound, so I had to unplug and unplug it back. This problem came before iOS 7 probably during iOS 6.0.0+. So any suggestion? Should I buy a new one?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 3:20 PM

First try to reset your device:

Device Reset (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

Also check your iPad's side switch setting:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 3:20 PM in response to Guvnor

First try to reset your device:

Device Reset (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

Also check your iPad's side switch setting:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

Oct 27, 2013 10:16 PM in response to SergZak

I had done it several times already and yes, my iPad is not at mute. I am thinking to reset my iPad to factory setting but then I'll lose all data on the iPad. I do made some research months ago, some says the disappearance of sound could be cause by iOS 6 itself but it's still the same in iOS 7 tho. Some also said it is a hardware problem but I didn't think that could be the cause since my iPad is still new and I always take care of it. So any other suggestions?

Oct 27, 2013 10:17 PM in response to Guvnor

(A) Reset iPad

Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears

Note: Data will not be affected.

(B) Make sure Side Switch is set to "Lock Rotation" and make sure sound is not muted in Control Center (little bell)

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee374/Diavonex/ac7f6dc314aca5d618ac2f55616be 20e_zpsa92a3ebd.jpg

Dec 6, 2013 1:15 AM in response to Guvnor

I fixed this problem (no sound except through headphones, and no volume slider) by briefly sucking in air from the 30-pin socket in my iPad 3. I bet even the vacuum cleaner would have done the job.

On another thread someone fixed it by cleaning the socket using a toothbrush and alcohol. Another even used vinegar successfully. However I wouldn't recommend either, as alcohol or vinegar could dissolve or corrode something useful. Also, I'm not sure the bristles of a toothbrush couldn't damage a pin. Still, I am very grateful to them for pointing out where the problem was: just a bit of dust maybe.

I presume this problem doesn't occur with the Lightening socket.

Dec 17, 2013 4:03 AM in response to Guvnor

Hello Guvnor,

Please, watch this short video about restoring the sound of the iPad (only 1m36sec):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDf1LDcE95Q

The important thing - if you have the iPad properly 'unmuted' and volume all up - is CLOSING all apps (and wait for about 20seconds) BEFORE rebooting the iPad. A single missbehaved app can keep the sound system innoperative...

Of course there are the 'hardware' possibilities (dirty/moistured dock connector and/or headphones jack) that keeps the iPad constantly on 'hedphones' mode... or constantly in docking mode... Cleaning with a dry soft toothbrush seems to be the only way.

Good luck!

Mar 18, 2014 9:25 AM in response to Josy69

Josy69,

I hope you could fix your sound problem 'for good'. I put it in quotes because it can happen more frequently than we would expect. Sometimes you are playing a buggy game that is causing audio problems... have you tried closing ALL apps?

Anyway, for everybody else, here is my updated guide for sound problems:

http://youtu.be/SDf1LDcE95Q

(1min 36sec)

It covers the basics:

• checking side-switch / mute / "Control Center"
  • volume all up

...and also the worst cases:

• closing all apps (for rare cases when a single app might render the sound system instable)
  • rebooting the iPad

So, don't get desparete: try the things in the video.

There are people who reported having forgotten an audio-bluetooth connection activated with a turned-off sound-system or speakers... or forgot Air-Play turned on... so be sure you disengage bluetooth and/or airplay.

On the 'hardware side', dirty dock connector (30 pin) can make the iPad 'think' it is connected to external audio - if so, cleaning it with a dry toothbrush can fix. Also, moisture in the headphones connector can make the iPad switch to 'headphones' even without headphones connected, making it silent: check if you can hear things with headphones plugged in - if so, try gently inserting and removing headphones a few times and check if you get sound back to iPad's speakers alone.

Once more: no need to reset settings, nether restore - save your time.

Mar 19, 2014 5:45 AM in response to Guvnor

DISCONNECT BLUETOOTH.

After doing all the ridiculous resetting and changing/checking the settings by the advice given on these forums and on YouTube, I finally discovered that if you have your apple device connected to any other device by bluetooth you will not get any audio but by the device it's connected to. How un-awesome is that? Ive always been used to how my android devices work with Bluetooth which is when the system you're connected to is off or in a different mode, you still have audio. That makes perfect sense and is convenient, right? But I thought my brand new ipad was busted when I connected to my entertainment system by Bluetooth and haven't been getting any audio the last few weeks. So basically I need to go into settings and disconnect every stinking time if I want to hear my game or show my wife a YouTube video then go into settings bad reconnect then pair my devices every time I want to jam. Regretting ever got this overpriced tablet...

Mar 19, 2014 7:23 AM in response to TheThinMan69

Hello again TheThinMan69 🙂

For people interested in reproducing video/audio from the iPad/iPhone/iPod in the TV/SoundSystem I really recommend having an AppleTV. Of course it is an extra cost - so, I encourage you to visit a friend who has one and show it to you. It is really easy and convenient. We have one in or bedroom and we are considering having another one for the livingroom TV.

No, I don't work at Apple and I don't receive commissions. I am just a passionate user and developer.

Mar 19, 2014 7:59 AM in response to EversonFromSaoPaulo

Video was really good: concise and clear. However, still no sound on the iPad. I dont even have a volume bar!

The system sounds are fine, however the iPad was purchased for my music collection and podcasts. So now it's a very expensive paperweight. Three days ago I had music. Anyone??

As most people reported I started having trouble last fall, with the iOS update. The most recent update has been a killer.

My iPad has no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.