Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add Audible audio books to my library

I am about to throw this Mac computer into the trash. Can someone please tell me how to get this mac to add Audible audio books to the Itunes library, so that I can sync (another matter) to iphone and ipad?

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 11:33 PM

What format are the books?

14 replies

Apr 1, 2014 9:51 PM in response to Kiavo

I've found that iTunes no longer allows Audible files to be added to the iTunes library.

I'm on a Mac (OSx 10.9), and am running the latest version of iTunes (11.1.5).

First of all, there's no longer a "Books" category in iTunes, but there is an "Audiobooks" category. My preferences are set to show that category.

When I first tried to add my Audible books to iTunes, I had no audiobooks in my library. What showed when I was in the Audiobooks view was a sort of welcome, you have no audiobooks, page with a button to download audiobooks from the App Store.

I tried importing my Audible books via drap and drop and File-> Add to Library. I was able to select the files, but the Audiobooks welcome view didn't change.

I thought perhaps iTunes had a bug (or design) to only show the list of files when there was an App Store-purchased audiobook. So I bought an audiobook from iTunes. I was now able to see this audiobook, and proceeded to add my Audible file to the iTunes library as well. The Audible books again did not show up in my audiobook library.

Similarly, I've tried opening the .aa Audible file directly from Finder. It launches iTunes, but nothing happens.

There was another post about iTunes Match causing an issue, but I'm not subscribed to iTunes Match. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3875987

So I'm out of ideas, and pretty fed up. Does anyone have a new way to fix this? Jimzgoldfinch method is not working. Books are .aa files

Apr 2, 2014 12:09 AM in response to Charisse_B

Audiobooks from Apple and Audible.com both download directly into iTunes. If they are not from either company the audiobooks are most likely in the 'Music' section. Select 'Music' from the Sidebar and the Album tab, control click > Get Info > Options > Media Kind > change to Audiobook. The book will now be in the Audiobook section of iTunes.

Jun 26, 2014 10:08 AM in response to RobertChalmers

RobertChalmers wrote:

I have been going nuts with this. I can see and listen to my Audible book on my iPhone 4, but I can't find them anywhere in iTunes, or on the computer - a mac mini - so how do I get these books and put them on my new iPad Mini? or, even, on my new mac mini?

this is crazy!

I don't have any Audible books so where did you get them? If they are from the iTunes Store then you should be able to re-download them to your computer or transfer them to your computer from your device. If they are from another source you need to re-download them to your computer from whatever that source. You can only transfer iTunes Store purchases directly from an iDevice to a computer unless you buy third party software.

Jun 27, 2014 4:40 PM in response to RobertChalmers

If the audiobook came from Apple you will have to transfer it from your iPhone to iTunes on your computer, and sync it to the iPad Mini (audiobooks and tones from Apple are a once-only download).

If the audiobook came from Audible.com you can download the Audible app from the App Store onto the iPad Mini, and download the book directly into that. You can also download it to your computer from Audible's website.

Aug 28, 2014 6:18 PM in response to Kiavo

I understand the frustration -- each time I get a new book on Audible, I have to try to remember how to add it to iTunes!

Here's what I just did:

--Purchased my audiobook and downloaded it to my iMac; the icons for the book (this one happened to be in two parts) then appeared on my desktop.

--Opened the finder and selected "Music" under the "Places" segment on the navigation bar to the left.

--Dragged the book icons from the desktop over to the "Music" folder.

--Voila, the book appeared in my iTunes library and I could copy it over to my iPhone.

There is probably a simpler method, but this is the one that works for me. Hope it helps!

May 26, 2015 9:21 PM in response to Kiavo

On Audible.com, go to the Library > My Books page. There is a table with all of your audible books in it. On the far right, you'll see options to "Deliver to" any of your devices with Audible App.

But if you want to download it so that you can listen to it through iTunes, you can select Download. Once the file downloads, you can drag it into the Audiobooks section of iTunes. It will then appear in iTunes and you can synch it to any of your devices or play it on your computer.

You can of course play it through the audible app and avoid all this but there are some scenarios where that doesn't work or isn't desirable such as if you wanted to listen to it on an old iPod.

How do I add Audible audio books to my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.