Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email Folders gone after Mavericks update. -2

After updating to Mavericks I am noticing I have lost a pretty large folder and I have no idea how to get it back. As you can see, I still have it inside of my library folder. Also, I already tried mailbox rebuild, but so far NO LUCK. Any ideas?

User uploaded file

MBP

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 12:17 AM

52 replies

Oct 28, 2013 7:34 AM in response to chrishough

For me it helped to re-index the mail completely. That was quiet easy to do. First is to stop Mail.app completely. Then you go into terminal. As you are logged in as your user there you can directly go into the right folder, which is

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

If you look into the directory there is a couple of files called "Envelope Index" and "Envelope Index-wal" with maybe a lot of different version numbers behind. Best thing is to move away the current "Envelope Index" and "Envelope Index-wal" to a different location. Now you can start Mail.app again and it will inform you that it has to make a new index of your folder. Once this is finished all my mails were back in my application. Why? Because the update to Mavericks did not delete the mails it just messed up the indexes.

Oct 28, 2013 10:15 AM in response to toldor

Toldor, thank you for this steer. After upgrading to Mavericks I had 3 messages showing as unread but I couldn't see the messages (they were showing in a Smart Mailbox count but opening the mailbox revealed it to be empty).

I found that I also needed to remove the file "Envelope Index-shm". Not doing so corrupted the opening of Mail, but removing all three files:

• "Envelope Index"
  • "Envelope Index-wal" and
  • "Envelope Index-shm"

and then opening Mail forced a rebuild of the index from scratch and resolved the problems.

I did the whole thing in Finder, not Terminal.

Oct 28, 2013 10:34 AM in response to toldor

Toldor, quite possibly. It was definitely recreated by the reindexing process, and having the old shm file present with the new index and wal files (after the first attempt) caused some very alarming behaviour from Mail, which then crashed! Removing all three and starting again fixed everything. Thanks again for your help; I hope my additional comments will help others, as well.

Email Folders gone after Mavericks update. -2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.