Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Complete Disaster with OS X Mavericks?

Installed OS X Mavericks last night and got to enjoy a Apple meltdown--can't find my wi fi, so no internet or printer, lost Pages, Numbers and Keynote (which I never used so no loss, I guess), tells me I can't access iPhoto on the machine (never had a problem before) and can't access e-mail.

Off to the fix-it shop--oh, right, forgot, the "genious bar". I'll keep you posted as to what happens next.

Thankfully I have my trustee Windows based Toshiba to post this with.

Thanks Apple!

Oh, I guess I should say somnething positive here about OS X. The ne3w screensaver looks nice.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 2:46 AM

50 replies

Oct 28, 2013 9:20 AM in response to Banktank

Banktank - Had you read the instructions for installing Mavericks (as with several other major OSX updates prior to Mavericks) you would have learned that before doing a major upgrade (and this goes for any software on any machine) you first do an entire backup so that when these situations arise, you are able to completely reinstall.

Not that I actually believe you're a Mac user anyway...

Oct 28, 2013 9:40 AM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

A. I have a backup as any user--windows or mac--should in any event.

B. I am a stickler that things should work, including software upgrades and should not blow out your computer. This upgrade works as well as the government healthcare website. It is unacceptable.

C. This forum is for helpful and constructive support. The arrogant, condescending tone is inconsistent with the rules of this forum. If you have something useful to add, do so. If not, move on.

D. I use an iMac. One year old. Since I don't trust it, having found it consistently unreliable, I don't use it for much.

Nov 29, 2013 6:26 AM in response to Banktank

Banktank wrote:

D. I use an iMac. One year old. Since I don't trust it, having found it consistently unreliable, I don't use it for much.

Hmm .. this suggests there were problems you should have addressed *before* installing Mavericks. A new OS isn't likely to correct underlying problems you had when running the earlier one.

My experience with Apple computers has all been good (other than problems I introduced). I also have an excellent Dell PC running Windows 7 I use for certain tasks. I'm hardly an Apple fanboy, but I've found them more reliable for my uses since starting with an iBook eight years ago. And I have Mavericks running on two computers with no problems.

Phil

Nov 29, 2013 7:11 AM in response to Banktank

I am having the same issues with Mavericks and what don't want to hear are apologetics. Four trips to the denius bar, 2 reinstalls, and I am still having issues with mail (slow and scrolling is haphazard), safari (can't open pdf's),

unexplained application shutdowns, slow printing,

If I go back to the genius bar they will tell me to reinstall Mavericks then reinstall my applications - one by one - to

find the culprit. This has been the standard Apple answer since my first 20SE. Your fault, what did you do wrong.

I hope that the fixes will be rolled out sooner than later because as Apple upgrades their operating software they

increasingly make the computers vulnerable to systemwide failures. I am just lucky that our IT person had the smarts not to upgrade the corporate server and none of my other employees upgraded their computers either.

When Apple is good, it's very very good - when it's bad, it's awful. Presently I've got a rotten apple.

JAy

Nov 29, 2013 8:17 AM in response to w7ox

Phil--thanks for the post. This is what I find so aggravating about Apple. Some folks have flawless experiences and love Apple to almost cultish levels. Others, me for instance, have had nothing but headaches and cannot fathom why anyone would use anything made by Apple. It is very frustrating because I'd love to have that positive experience and cannot understand why I'm not.

That said, after the Mavericks issue(and my new HP printer doesn't work with the Maverick/iMac), I am done with Apple. My new Windows system is fast and reliable--and my printer works with it.

Nov 29, 2013 8:24 AM in response to banktank459

BT;

Your observation is quite correct - why I always fall into the 10% column of people that have problems

(with all apple devices) is beyond me. The hours spent at genius bars world wide is ridiculous.

Having said that - don't give up. Once mavericks stabilizes (hopefully before a new upgrade is released)

your investment in apple will reap rewards. I am using a 2009 Macbook Pro and it's life span sees no end

in sight. (unless apple stops supporting harddrives).

Having said that, I'm glad my window is closed as I was just about to throw my pro out the window...

Good Luck;

Jay

Nov 29, 2013 9:30 AM in response to jay276

jay276 wrote:

I am having the same issues with Mavericks and what don't want to hear are apologetics. Four trips to the denius bar, 2 reinstalls, and I am still having issues with mail (slow and scrolling is haphazard), safari (can't open pdf's),

unexplained application shutdowns, slow printing,

If I go back to the genius bar they will tell me to reinstall Mavericks then reinstall my applications - one by one - to

find the culprit. This has been the standard Apple answer since my first 20SE. Your fault, what did you do wrong.

Well, the term "genius" is often mis-applied. Likely you can get better support here if you provide into.

If problems still exist you might want to run EtreCheck and post the results in a new thread. That has helped in many cases.

Long term, you can replace your mecanical HDD with an SSD 🙂 Faster booting and many other pluses, too.

Phil

Nov 29, 2013 12:49 PM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

thats not the problem A@@@ why should we have some many problems when updating the OS, seam from reading all the post here there are way to many problems with Mavericks I have had one problem after another with mail, with mt printer, s=web pages laoding slow as well as iphoto loading slow, lost files and program ,Apple should have never let this OS open with all these problems

Dec 22, 2013 12:26 AM in response to Banktank

My Experience starting back in 2008 with a Mac Mini and later MacPro and Snow Leopard was largerly good, stable and reliable. Lion was ok but with Mountain Lion Things started to get buggy, slower and more frustrating. My Mac Mini, MacPro and Macbook Pro become more problamatic and unstable that started spending hours tryining to keep things working. Now with Mavericks I'm spending as much time and experncing more frustration then I ever did with Windows 7. Mavericks is so slow and clunkly it reminds of windows 98 however, and I don't consider it an 'upgrade' but an encumberence.

For example, Adobe says CS6 is comparable but even after the patches I find Most apps are so buggy and unstable as to be not useable.

So Bad has been my Mountain Lion and Mavericks experence the only way I see to work with the software I need (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Premiere and Office 2008) is to go back to Lion or Windows 7, At least Windows was mostly stable.

I used to enjoy using my MACs and found my productivity actually increased over a PC, but now I see no compelling reason to stick with Apple as it seems they are shooting themselves in the foot by praticing the Microsoft model of not only releasing buggy OS releases, but releases that make the software the expensive software you bought a year ago functionaly obsolete .

BTW, I did a fresh install of Mountain Lion, did all the updates and then did the Mavericks upgade on both my MACPro and Macbook Pro. Same issues on both machines but more issues with video on the Mac Pro.

Complete Disaster with OS X Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.