Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change titles on iBooks?

I'm on Mavericks now.

How do I modify titles and authors on iBooks? I can't. It was possible on iTunes but now I don't.

iBook

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 6:58 PM

You can't yet.

Apple listens if enough people complain. If you hate the current implementation of iBooks, send Apple feedback here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks.html

19 replies

Nov 2, 2013 2:16 PM in response to gerar1985

There is a way, but it is not particularly user friendly and you have to be comfortable rolling up your sleeves and reaching into the guts of an epub file.

1. Start with a .epub file that is not in the iBooks library.
  2. Unzip it. (I use "ePub Zip/Unzip 2.1.1")
  3. Open the iTunesMetadata.plist file (located in the top folder) with a text editor. If there is no such file, create it. (the file won't be there if the epub has never been added to any iTunes or iBook library).
  4. Add or edit keys and their corresponding data nodes. For example, to change the author, edit the "string" under the "artistName" key.
    <key>artistName</key><string>First LastName</string>
  5. Save the file.
  6. Rezip the epub.
  7. Import it into iBooks.
  8. iBooks will read the data from the plist file and use it. This then transfers to your ios device when you sync.

Here's a mapping of plist keys to iBooks/iTunes metadata

itemName > Name

sort-name > Sort Name

artistName > Author

sort-artist > Sort Artist

playlistName > Album

sort-album > Sort Album

genre > Category

year > Year

trackNumber > Track #

trackCount > Track # of

Here is the content of a .plist file I use as a template:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>itemName</key>

<string>Book Title</string>

<key>sort-name</key>

<string>Book Sort Title</string>

<key>artistName</key>

<string>First Last</string>

<key>sort-artist</key>

<string>Last, First</string>

<key>genre</key>

<string>Category</string>

<key>playlistName</key>

<string>Series Name</string>

<key>sort-album</key>

<string>Series Sort Name</string>

<key>year</key>

<integer>2013</integer>

<key>trackCount</key>

<integer>2</integer>

<key>trackNumber</key>

<integer>2</integer>

</dict>

</plist>

Apr 28, 2014 1:00 PM in response to gerar1985

First, you'll have to find your e-book .epub file, that's usually on:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books

But which .epub file?

Open your ebook on iBooks (preferably on your device), if the book's title is something like C58B353EF88D09C27F350CC29B631B19 then this is the file name (otherwise I don't know how to help you in this step).

Copy the correspondent .epub file to your desktop and change it's name (to mybook.epub or something like this)

Open your desktop's .epub file using a file compressor app like Entropy (or any other)

Extract content.opf file from the .epub into your desktop (drag and drop)

Edit the extracted content.opf file using Text Editor. You will know which fields to change

- there is, for instance, a field called <dc:title></dc:title>, change it to <dc:title>Title of Your Book</dc:title>

- do the same to <dc:creator>Author</dc:creator> and so on

Save the content.opf file

Drag and drop content.opf file back to Entropy (or any other file compressor tool you're using). Make sure you're dropping to the same folder inside the .epub file, and replace it. Don't forget to save (on Entropy) to apply changes on .epub file

On your Mac, delete the old book from your iBooks Library

- open iBooks, right click on the book, choose delete

Open iTunes and sync it with your device (the book will be deleted from your device)

Add the eBook back to your iBooks Library (just drop the changed file onto it)

Sync iTunes again

Your book will show up again in your device's iBooks Library

You can delete all these files from your desktop, because the changed .epub file was copied to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books

under some kind of weird file name.

Jan 11, 2015 5:01 AM in response to StoneSoup

You are right, this does not make much sense in what limits information we can edit in our devices. I don't think this is an engineer decision, most likely a business one or program one to save development time or to really make us get only books from the store, not sure, but it does not matter, editing metadata is something customers miss from Mavericks. I would advise people requesting this feature back at > https://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks.html

Just praise you like iBooks app and need metadata editing feature back. The more people requesting it, more likely management will considering adding it back.

Change titles on iBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.