Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of flickering in Safari 6.1 ?

Safari 6.1 on Lion OS X 10.7.5

This update brought flickering: a grey rectangle that flashes up for a fraction of a second above some area. It seems to be connected to JavaScript and/or CSS positioning as I experience it on several webpages where sidebar/page elements are made to scroll to the top of the window and stick there while the user continues scrolling down the page. It's not happening when JavaScript is deactivated.

Disabling plugins and extensions brought no difference. Cache cleaning and permissions repair didn't help either.

(2007 MacBook 2.1, with 3 GB RAM)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 11:50 AM

17 replies

Nov 9, 2013 11:38 PM in response to Atlarge

Thanks, Atlarge, for the idea. Every reasonable contribution is one more eliminated possibility! 😉

However, I don't run Avast or any extensions or plug-ins but the most extremely standard and basic few and I've tested all of them.

Floor is still open for ideas, folks!

Oops, almost forgot -- here is a closely related thread the OP, commenter, and other viewers may want to check out about this flickering, blinking, winking, flashing problem so many of us are experiencing with new-&-improved Safari: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5535316.

Message was edited by: ESPRESSO_ME

Nov 18, 2013 9:02 AM in response to SomeMacUser1

Apparently I got the flickering problem in 6.1 resolved after I botched an attempt at downgrading back to 6.0.5-for-Lion and then had to re-install 6.1 (7537.71) via Software Update.

I'm not sure which step was the key to sorting out the problem, so I recommend not to repeat what I did as I didn't succeed in my primary goal to go back to 6.0.5.

What I would recommend trying out nevertheless is to trash:

1) the contents of the 'Safari' folder in your user Library folder:

~/Library/Safari

2) your Safari user preference files in the Preferences folder:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.lockfile

Beware, this deletes bookmarks, extensions, reading list items, top sites, preference settings, etc. To make a backup of the bookmarks first, use File > Export Bookmarks in Safari. The exported file can later be re-imported (File > Import Bookmarks) and be re-arranged in the Bookmark editing window (Cmd-Option-B). The exported file can also be imported in other browsers, e.g., Firefox...

To access the (hidden) Library folder in your user home, open some Finder window, hold down the Option key, and from the top menu bar, choose Go > Library.

BTW:

Other 6.1 bugs remained unresolved: going to the 'Google Translate' page instantly crashes Safari. Also, I discovered a quirk in the bookmarks editing view that required quitting&relaunching Safari several times to drag my re-imported bookmarks from subfolders to the top level ...

(PS: Again, I don't know what was the key factor, so I just describe what I did: Deleted the folder/files listed above, plus the folder /System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari. Then I ran the Safari 6.0.5 install package that I had downloaded from the Macupdate site, which succeeded. However, Safari crashed on launch. I then decided to reinstall 6.1 and did this by running Software Update from the Apple menu.)

Nov 20, 2013 8:36 AM in response to SomeMacUser1

I don't have an answer, just adding my voice to those who are experiencing this problem. I have Lion 10.7.5 and Safari 6.1. For the last few days I've been noticing the occasional flicker. It's starting to worry me. The only thing I have done recently is I've installed a few "web clipping" extensions, like Pocket and web clipper for Evernote, but it sounds like folks are saying this doesn't have anything to do with extensions?

So far I've not noticed any crashing in Safari, just the flickering.

I have a 15" mid-2010 MBP that has a practically brand new logic board that Apple replaced for me a few months ago for a separate issue. Praying I don't have to go through that again.

Would it help if I upgraded to a newer version of OSX? At the time I decided not to, it was due to some software that I had not playing nice with Mountain Lion, but that's probably been resolved by now. At least I would hope so!

Nov 20, 2013 10:45 AM in response to SomeMacUser1

Well, the flickering is back after a day. Resetting Safari didn't help. All you can hope for is that Apple will release a bug fixing update rather sooner than later. I should not have installed 6.1 in the first place – past experience with major updates of Apple software should have taught me that they are actually beta versions, so waiting for the bug fix before updating would have been wiser.

Nov 20, 2013 11:14 AM in response to ddupont

Deleting the following files and folder (see my previous answer) helps with the flickering – at least for a while:

1) the contents of the 'Safari' folder in your user Library folder:

~/Library/Safari

2) your Safari user preference files in the Preferences folder:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.lockfile

Nov 21, 2013 2:45 AM in response to SomeMacUser1

I have now downgraded to 6.0.5 and will wait for the next Safari 6.1.x update (although I bet the flickering will still not be gone). Downgrading is relatively easy using the Terminal application and two lines of command that are copy-pasted from the answer to this related question here: Re: How can I downgrade Safari 6.1 to 6.0.5? . (The previously used Safari version is archived in the system and can be re-installed via Terminal commands)

Nov 21, 2013 3:22 AM in response to SomeMacUser1

Before downgrading: use File > Export Bookmarks and let Safari save the file on the Desktop (just to be sure in case the older version gets in trouble with the newer preference file versions – to prevent any possible problem with that, I deleted the Safari folder and my personal Safari preference files like I described in my earlier answer). Then quit Safari.

Launch the Terminal application and copy-paste the following command: (it's for Lion 10.7 specifically. If you are on Mountain Lion 10.8, change the '10.7' in the line to '10.8')

sudo tar -xvf /Library/Application\ Support/Apple/.Safari6.1-10.7Archive/SafariArchive.tar.gz -C /

then press the Return key and type in your Admin password when prompted, and press Return again. If everything is OK, you'll see a huge number of message lines rolling down...

After that, copy-paste this command and press Return:

sudo rm -rf /private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.Safari6.*

That's it.

Feb 22, 2014 2:23 AM in response to SomeMacUser1

Good news: Yesterday I installed the developer preview of Safari+Webkit update 6.1.2 (build 7537.74.9) on my OS X 10.7.5 system, and the flickering has not appeared ever since. So, finally, this seems sorted. However, the bug in the bookmark editing view where dragging-und-dropping of bookmark entries (for organising the list) works once and then stops working, is still present.

The preview is available on Apple's developer site (you need to register an account) https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action

Or wait for the regular release und use Software Update to install it.

How to get rid of flickering in Safari 6.1 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.