Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install Windows in Boot Camp - Windows Driver Issue

Before update to Mavericks, I had an installation of WIndows 7 running in Bootcamp. I had updated this to Windows 8.

Just prior to Mavericks release, the hard drive in my MacBook Pro started to fail. I had a full backup of the OS X partitiion, but did not have one of Windows.

After the drive was replaced, I did a fresh install of Mavericks and I'm planning on doing new installs of my apps over the coming days. (It's an opportunity to clear-out remains of old apps/OS's.) I have hit a wall with Boot Camp, though:

I used the Boot Camp Assistant to download the driver sets ("Windows support software") to a USB stick and partition the HD. However, although the Mac then boots off the Windows 8 (64-bit) installer DVD I can only get as far as choosing the installation language before I get stuck on the next step where it's looking for missing drivers. At first, I thought this was some reference to the ones downloaded from Apple, but I am now pretty certain that these just get installed after [in] Windows to allow access to the Apple hardware.

I have tried installing Windows 7 and get hung-up at the same point (which did not happen on 10.8).

Does anyone have any insight into what's happening and how I can get around the problem please?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8GB RAM

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 3:44 PM

25 replies

Aug 9, 2017 3:51 PM in response to Arkouda

Here, we are, 2017 and I have this same issue only on OS Sierra and Windows 10. Did you ever get this problem solved and if so ....how?

I had this working fine on the same MacBook AND same windows.iso but wanted to make my windows partition larger and thus had to redo bootcamp. Now I can't get any drivers on to even begin to install Windows and all efforts point to people who need drivers AFTER Windows is installed which we understand is a nicer problem to have than this one.

Thanks for any attention to this post .

Nov 26, 2013 1:41 AM in response to Arkouda

HI,

Although the Bootcamp Driver download function in OS X Mavericks seems to be broken, you can still get the appropriate Bootcamp Drivers for your Mac by finding your Mac model and clicking on the Bootcamp Driver version links found in the support article here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

The version links will get you to the appropriate download page at the Apple Support Downloads section.

Nov 26, 2013 3:27 PM in response to soknet

@Soknet:

To repeat some of the end of what Bernard said, downloading Boot Camp Support Software (in my case 5.0.5033) does not help when attempting to follow the instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

These instructions assume that one has made it through the Windows installation process and can actually 'double click on setup' (step 5) but the problem that Bernard and I are running into occurs well before that stage. The problem here is that we're getting past the 'Language Select' stage and entirely unable to proceed past finding the Drivers. I've tried moving the Drivers onto it's own USB stick in order to help Windows find them, but that has not worked either.

Any suggestions for how to proceed here?

Nov 27, 2013 9:40 AM in response to IanWhalen

Well said Ian. That's precisely the problem, but my guess is that it's something deficient in the Windows 8 install itself. (It didn't happen with 7.)

Of course, when I tried Apple for assistance I was referred to Microsoft. Microsoft said that a Mac can't boot off a Windows DVD and then referred me back to Apple when I questioned that statement.

Catch-22, but at least I have no real need to access Windows at the moment...

Nov 27, 2013 9:51 AM in response to Arkouda

I was reacting to this comment above "That's precisely the problem, but my guess is that it's something deficient in the Windows 8 install itself. (It didn't happen with 7.)".

A more drastic approach would be to use Parallels or another VM approach. I don't because my drive is SSD and boots very quickly.

I have Win 7 running with Mavericks and no reason to go to Win 8 for my uses.

Phil

Nov 27, 2013 9:57 AM in response to Arkouda

Bernard Harte wrote:

I didn't want to sound ungrateful. I used to use a VM, but wanted the more direct route [and didn't want to keep paying to upgrade the VM environment]. It annoys me that there doesn't seem to be a proper solution when - anecdotally - it should be quite possible to install Win 8.

I agree with all that you say! And being stuck in the Apple vs. M$ support no-man's land doesn't help.

Phil

Mar 6, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Arkouda

Just chiming in - having the same issue as Bernard and Ian here myself, but with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Trying to install on MBP Late 2013, Mavericks, using USB. I get through the bootcamp phase to the language selection in Windows and then get the drivers error message.

Called apple tech support and they indicated that OEMs can sometimes be lightweight versions of the DVD installers (i.e. they leave out certain drivers because they assume a certain set of hardware components will be present, typically hardware that perhaps only PCs have and Macs don't) - so they suggested trying to get my hands on a retail version of the ISO file that might have all of the drivers necessary. I tried downloading every feasible iteration of the windows trial ISOs here but every one of them gave me the same error message in Windows setup. My next step is to call microsoft to ask them for a "complete" ISO - I'm hoping they can cooperate since I do have a valid, un-used authentication code for my Windows product. I'll let you know if this works.

In the meantime - has anyone found an easier fix?

Can't Install Windows in Boot Camp - Windows Driver Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.