Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New mail messages not wrapping text in Mavericks

Is anyone else having trouble with wrapping text? Even if the window is resized the text runs off the right side for two miles! I've opened the messages in a new window but that doesn't help either.

Any advice? Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 2:36 AM

same problem with me - same email on my old Mac wraps properly so its not an issue with the sender

29 replies

Nov 20, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Steve HTSD

I am having the same problem and it started after I installed Mavericks. It is only certain messages and if I reply or forward the message it wraps correctly. So a clunky workaround is to click "Forward", read the message, and then delete the forward message. People, we shouldn't have to do this in an application as basic as Mail. Mail's text handling was already pathetic compared with Outlook's, now it's gotten even worse. I am running the latest version, Mail 7.0 (1822).

Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?

Dec 5, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Steve HTSD

I am also having the same problem using Mail 7.0 after upgrading to Mavericks. Very frustrating.

Here is my (hopefully) temporary work- around:

I compose my emails without filling in the "To" or "CC" fields - leave them blank while composing your message. While composing my message, the text wraps properly. When done with the body of my message, I go back and fill in those fields (which often causes the wrapping problem to reappear).

Looking forward to a quick and permanent fix.

Mar 27, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Steve HTSD

I am having the exact same problem and it is driving me nuts. This has been going on for months, through several updates, and it's making me want to punch Apple in the face. This is some PC type nonsense, is what it is.

All of a sudden I'll open an email and i have to scroll horizontally for weeks to get to the end of each line because mail preview refuses to text wrap it. I cannot stand that there is no option to fix this in preferences or anything, and I can see from other posts in the Apple Support communities that this is NOT a new issue, its been going on with others for MONTHS, since NOVEMBER 2013 it looks like. And I'm no computer programmer, but I know enough about it to know that this sort of fix would take Apple 3 freaking seconds.

COME ON APPLE. I am an attorney and I rely on Apple and Apple mail for business and you continue to COST ME MONEY for how much time I'm having to spend scrolling sideways to read emails and then scroll ALLLL the way back for the next line.

Pathetic, and unacceptable. Fix it Apple. You need to have fixed this like yesterday.

May 16, 2014 1:00 PM in response to sarahjay83

The problem seems to have been fixed in OS X 10.9.3, which I installed this morning, unless I just haven't encountered one of the problem messages. Hallelujah! It's been driving me nuts. Can someone else test and confirm? It's Mail Version 7.3 (1878.2), but I don't know whether this is different than what I had yesterday. Let's hope they haven't broken something else.

New mail messages not wrapping text in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.