Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I use for a low battery warning on a Mac Book OSX10.8?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 1:13 PM

36 replies

Oct 29, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Kilonzo2013

Not much information here.

A charger?

Is this warning always on?

Have you gone to system info/power and checked on the battery health? (Apple logo holding OPTION key, click System Information, click power in the left column, see what is says under Battery Information.

More detailed information on your problem would help readers to be able to offer suggestions/advice

Oct 30, 2013 1:35 AM in response to Kilonzo2013

Ok, I will try to make this clearer... Is there an app or function that someone would recomend for my Macbook Pro OSX 10.8 that will give me a warning when the battery is low (ex. 10%, 20% etc)? Apparently this feature doesn't exist on the standard OS (at least in the energy management menu). Looking at the battery Icon is a great idea, but when using a program, it is covered. All I need is an small pop-up that comes up to let me know (after hours of typing) that the battery is low and I should charge it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Oct 30, 2013 3:53 PM in response to Kilonzo2013

As shown in the screen shots, and to what Baby Boomer has already said, if you set up the battery display in the menu bar, by clicking on it and selecting SHOW, TIME , or PERCENTAGE, this is the amount of battery time, or battery percentage that is left in the battery charge. Don't let it fall below 10% as OGELTHORPE says, or below 30 minutes before reconnecting to a charger. Draing your battery to the point of shut down is bad for the battery.

It will always be visible in the menu bar, all you need to do is glance at it once in a while to se the status.

Regards

Nov 1, 2013 8:36 AM in response to sanjampet

Thanks for the screenshots. I, however, dot get the "show" option in the dropdown. I do get a show percentage, but that takes the percentage off/on next to the battery icon. That would be fine if the icon wasn't covered by the open program. Baby boomer claims this shouldn't happen, but it does (I'll work on a screenshot of that if needed). I normally don't let the battery dip so low, but I am hoping to find a way to activate the window Baby boomer posted without having to add additional programing.

Nov 1, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Thanks for the screenshot. I noticed my battery was down to 4percent last week and I never got a warning. Hence the discussion. However it is ture that Openoffice fills the screen, and covers the battery icon. After searching the os for battery relevant information, my conclusion is that I need to find an external sourced battery monitor. Rather a boneheaded mistake on this machine from our friends at apple.

Nov 1, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Kilonzo2013

Those are both strange, that you do not have the "show" in the drop down, as well as your menu bar being covered by the application.

My menu bar is ALWAYS there.

Don't what to tell you???????????????????????? Maybe your OS is somehow corrupt???????

Maybe someone will be able to explain this.??

Just got your latest, I have never used Open Office, is this the only aplication that covers your menu bar?

Nov 1, 2013 8:57 AM in response to Kilonzo2013

If this is brand new, I would take it an Apple store and have it checked out, you have 14 days from date of purchase to exchange it for another machine or get a full refund. You also have a 1 year (2 additional years with AppleCare of warranty) This does not sound right, and I would take full advantage of Apple's policies. Show them the covered menu bar issue, see what they say.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.