Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Cannot play video - The Connected display is not supported" error message using Netflix 5.0.2 on my iPad

I'm running iOS 7.0.3 on my iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd gen) and have just upgraded to the current version of the Neflix app available in the Canadian App Store (5.0.2).

Although all other apps I've tried (e.g. Podcast, VLC) are able to properly output video & audio directly to my TV using the HDMI adapter (i.e. NOT via an Apple TV), the Netflix app pops up the error message "Cannot play video - The connected display is not supported". If I start a video and then plug the HDMI cable in, it will play for a few seconds and then halt with the same error message.

Netflix & Apple were supposed to have been working together to fix the previous issue with this scenario which was causing audio to be output but no video. The current Netflix app update was released yesterday and seems to have taken a step backward.

When I contacted Netflix support, they indicated that they have done whatever can be done from their side and this is now Apple's issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kiron

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 3:09 PM

25 replies

Nov 23, 2013 6:23 AM in response to Cahorte

Ipad Air + lightning-to-30 pin converter + Apple HDMI converter would not stream to my HDTV. Called Apple. They said they are working on the drivers to make the HDMI adapter work. No target date for fix. Cannot believe in this day of streaming video that Apple let this happen to their new top of the line Ipad Air. No way will I upgrade to ios 7 on my older Ipad 2 which still works fine to stream video. Two steps forward and one step back...or do I have that backward?

Nov 11, 2013 8:33 AM in response to kbondale

Hello all,

I have an iPad 2 16GB with iOS 7.0.3 and Netflix version 5.0.2. I cannot watch netflix on an External LCD monitor that I have through VGA out. I use bluetooth speakers, so the AirPlay is going to that for Audio. Before this update, this combo worked without an issue.

So as of Friday Nov. 8/2013, I contacted Netflix support, and they said they fixed the problem on their end, and the fix is on the Apple side of things, and to contact Apple support.

So, I contacted Apple support, and the first person I spoke to said I would have to agree to pay a $35 fee for 30 days of support to this problem since my unit is out of warranty. I said this isn't a hardware issue, it's a software issue, and I'm not willing to pay to fix a problem you created. So I got a Senior Level advisor on the line, and she was helpful, and she's looking into the issue for me and said she'll contact me sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday (Nov. 12 or 13) to let me know of the issue.

Here's the thing: this is a combination of Netflix and iOS not working correctly with any of the Apple Authorized Dongles. This is truly a code error that some hot shot programmer had major oversight on, and their management didn't catch it either. There was no reason for Netflix to rush to get this Netflix update going until Apple sorted out the bugs in iOS 7.

Anyway, if I hear anything from Donna (the advisor), I'll post it and let you guys know. In the mean time, good luck!

Nov 14, 2013 6:26 PM in response to kbondale

Almost same problem here. I'm trying to use my 4s to watch netflix on my tv. Got the AV adapter and the the HDMI cable, and when it's all plugged in and I open Netflix, the red Netflix screen pops up on my tv, but on my phone, an error message pops up saying "Cannot Play Video - The Connected Display is Not Supported". I contacted netflix, and the guy I talked to had no ideas or suggestions for me other than to go to Best Buy or somewhere like that and see if they can help me troubleshoot.

Jan 7, 2014 7:30 PM in response to kbondale

I don't know if anyone else has found a solution, but I just got finished talking with three Netflix reps and one Apple rep. Long story short, the rep ended up telling me that the HDMI adapter that I was using is not supported with the latest version of Netflix on the latest iOS. He said I needed to purchase a 30 pin to male HDMI cable from Amazon in order to plug my iPad directly into the TV. He said it worked for him with his own iPad, and he was confident it would work for me.

I have not tried this yet, so I can't vouch for it's validity, but it might be worth a try. I was sure to let him know that it's a shame that Netflix is making their customers purchase another cable instead of just updating their app. And it's also frustrating that it took me two hours of the "run-around" before I got this answer. Anyway, hope that helps someone! 🙂 Heck, I hope it helps me! I want to watch Netflix on my big screen!

Feb 8, 2014 3:18 AM in response to kbondale

I think you can try this because I was getting the same exact issue with the video not being supported when trying to play netflix through my av adapter through HDMI. Go to settings and then the Netflix app and you have to enable wifi only, once I did that I was able to play movies without it saying that it wasn't supported. My IOS is updated to the latest version and so is my Netflix app. Try this and if it works toucan can recommend me for a job at apple support ....lol but this work if not then your device might just support this feature. I also read a list of Apple devices that only support this feature you can check it on this site as we'll. yeah by the way I'm using a second gen iPad and 4g iPhone and they netflix both worked when I enabled the wifi wif only button for video playback. I hope this help all of you guys.

"Cannot play video - The Connected display is not supported" error message using Netflix 5.0.2 on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.