Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loose iphone 5s glass on screen

I have had my iphone 5s a couple of weeks. Today I noticed a clicking sound on the right hand side of the glass on the front. The glass is loose and moves in and out upon applying normal pressure, which is really annoying. I have made an appointment for a few days time to get a new phone, what the guy in the Apple store on Covent Garden today referred to as a swap out. He admitted this is a well known issue now.

It's really disappointing that Apple quality has gone so far downhill. Like how is this passing quality control at Foxconn.

I think we are all being foxed and conned to tell you the truth.....

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 7:25 PM

26 replies

Jan 31, 2014 6:09 AM in response to 400oz

My 5S's lock button was rattling straight out of the box, in addition then the screen began to come loose and 'click' all down the right hand side of the screen, very very annoying! At the same time the lock button began to 'ghost click', where it would press itself, even when it would just be sitting on my bedside locker!

It's been away for a week or so now with Applecare (as there are no Apple stores in the Republic of Ireland)...

To add insult, they do not even appear to have fixed the thing... I've checked the status of the repair and they "could not duplicate issue"...

To say I am beginning to lose my faith with Apple is an understatement...

Mar 28, 2014 2:32 PM in response to 400oz

Hi 400oz,

I have noticed my 5S (64GB) with the same problem on the right side of the screen. Been bothered by this and been busy to get it fixed. I have had the phone for about 5 months now. I try to be gentle while typing and cleaning.

There is no functional problem that I notice but I feel bad for Apple. Thinking of getting it looked at or fixed but i think i will not because i donot want to go through all the hassles. I thought about Apple passing these returned phone to someone else later after they fix it temporarily or what not. It is OK.

I would definitely bring it back if it is really bad like bulging or showing problem on the LCD screen.

Mine clicks when I press down a little at the SIM tray area. But when I run my finger across the screen slowly and firmly the problem goes away. I try to ignore it and it has been fine. I have some free time today and just wanted to check out if the problem is with iphone 5S or it is just mine. And I saw your post. Like everything else in life try get it out of your head it should be fine. Good luck

Jun 20, 2014 7:04 AM in response to 400oz

My 3 week old iPhone 5s does the same clicking noise from the upper right side of the screen down to the near the SIM card tray. Very faint sound though but it still bothers me now. I think clicking sound is normal unless it has a thud sound when you press downwards. My colleagues iPhone 5c has a thud sound on his screen and a very noticeable gap on the screen.

Feb 27, 2015 9:15 AM in response to 400oz

This seems to be a very common 5S problem. I had my 5S/32 exchanged on warranty by Apple here in Sweden in December 2014. Now in February 2015 I have the same problem in my 2 months old exchange 5S/32. Upper right corner is loose. Makes me wonder how many 5S owners there are who have the same problem without noticing it. Note that I had dropped my previous 5S and I thought I had caused the loose front myself by that. I pointed that out to Apple and there was a clear indentation on the frame freom the drop. No point in trying to hide the drop then. But Apple didn't care, they just gave me a new after I had had it almost a year. But I never dropped this new 5S that has the same problem now. The fact that Apple just exchanged my first 5S without asking any questions and that my 2 month old exchange 5S has the same problem in exactly the same corner now only leads to one conclusion - this is a common 5S model problem.

Mar 2, 2015 2:37 PM in response to deggie

I am, and statistically I'm right. Let's assume that this problem is a bit rare (despite this thread here and many more discussions on this subject on other forums) and that it only affects 0.01% of all i5S. Then the probability of getting one of the affected phones is 1/10,000 every time you buy one. The probability of getting two affected in a row is (1/10,000) x (1/10,000) = 1/100,000,000 = 0.000,001%. One chance in a hundred million!
I hope you are not a professional researcher, scientist or doctor! 😉

Loose iphone 5s glass on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.