Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new macbook pro 13" keyboard lights constantly flickering?

Hi, the keyboard lights of my recently purchased 13" macbook pro are contantly flickering slightly and the screen has frozen twice already, with only a hard reboot being the solution so far.. Anybody else experiencing this??

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 2:56 AM

Yes there is a LONG thread on problems with the newest Mac notebooks.

You have 14 days to return it for a full refund. I suggest you take advantage of that Apple return policy and wait for apple to fix this issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5481839?tstart=0

41 replies

Nov 22, 2013 3:48 PM in response to sk95

I'm experiencing this too. PRAM and SMC resets are not helping. I have narrowed it to only occur under these specific conditions:

1) Battery power

2) Keyboard backlight on low setting (1-3)

3) Screen brightness on low setting (1-5)

Flicker occurs approximately every 5 to 10 seconds.

Keyboard is not flickering if I force the keyboard light using Lab Tick.

Ambient light sensor seems to be otherwise functioning normally, adjusting keyboard and display brightness. I have the Late 2013 rMBP 2013.

I've talked to Apple Support several times but they don't know if this is software or hardware related.

Nov 25, 2013 12:45 AM in response to hugo4711

I discussed with Apple support (again) today and tried to convince them to at least forward this to engineers in charge of the firmware to investigate this and to confirm if this is firmware/driver issue or a hardware issue. It appears Apple tech support don't have the means to investigate and try to replicate this issue and they are unwilling or unable to forward this issue to be investigated by the engineers in charge of firmware. They can only state there is no known reported issues with the current firmware. Well, how could there be if they don't accept bug reports from the end users?

If you have Apple store nearby take your MB there and ask them to investigate and provide links to these discussions. That seems to be the only way to go. Let us know how it goes... I will wait a few days as I have over 130km to nearest Apple harware support store.

Nov 28, 2013 12:26 AM in response to sk95

Hello All,

Have around 3 weeks the MacBook Pro Retina 13inch, Late 2013. Same issue as you guys the keyboard flickers every app. 5 secconds. It is almost not noticable when you directly look at keyboard. But if you are focused on the display it will drive you insane. I have tested Lab Tick but it does not change the situation problem is still visible. Only way to use the PC is to have it on the adapter. When AC power is plugged the problem goes away. I have of course all updates applied. Hope that this can be fixed over a firmware/bios update. I would really hate somebody opening my 1 month old system for 2400 USD. It would ruin the feeling having a new device...

Nov 28, 2013 1:20 AM in response to sk95

This issue should be marked as not resolved, because the proposed fix here does not work for the problem mentioned. This thread has to have higher publicity too, so that Apple has to react to this thing. Any ideas how we can get some media attention to this?

I will try to go to the nearest Apple Store, but currently my time is really limited...

Dec 1, 2013 6:23 PM in response to sk95

I got two of these macs and both of them have the same issue... seems to be a widespread hardware problem. Has anybody heard of a fix of this problem yet? Apple should really take some responsibility here and address this issue (which it is clearly not doing at the moment). I am extremely disappointed with apple

Dec 2, 2013 5:36 AM in response to sk95

I left mine for service a week ago. ETA for repairs is 2 weeks. I should find out in a week if they were able to fix it or not.

I've been talking with Apple's Executive Relations EMEIA person after my email to Tim Cook regarding the issue and raising my suspicions of this being a firmware or driver problem rather than a hardware problem. I will follow up with her once I receive my MacBook back from service and we hear if they found anything wrong with the hardware or not. If they don't, then I suppose she could have Apple firmware people investigate this further.

new macbook pro 13" keyboard lights constantly flickering?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.