Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ignore Update" option nolonger available post-Mavericks?!

Have recently installed OS X Mavericks. Shortly after installtion, my App Store offered several major software updates, all but one of which I installed. And here's the rub: I don't want to install the updated Keynote having read some awful reviews which reveal some serious flaws. But I have discovered there is now no option to "Ignore Update" in the App Store updates area. This was previously pretty easy to do, simply by ctrl-clicking the software INSTALL. But not anymore - that option is gone! It now seems (post-Mavericks?) we are effectively being force-fed updates...

I want to get rid of the nagging RED 1 on my App Store icon. I want to get rid of the Keynote update hanging around in my App Store updates area. It is rather ominous and messy. Can we have our option not to update back please, Apple?

Anyone experiencing the same problem? Anyone found a fix for this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9), App Store issue - unwanted updates

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 5:20 AM

18 replies

Nov 24, 2013 11:27 AM in response to nikonsme

Same here: Hovering over a word (any particular word?) and then control-clicking (or option clicking or command clicking) does absolutely nothing. Alt- or Ctrl-Clicking the update button just starts the update. And Alt- or Ctrl-Clicking the name of the app takes you to the description page.

Easiest fix for the nagging red dot with number of uninstalled updates is to take the App Store out of your dock. Maybe not what Apple wanted, but they got it.

Nov 24, 2013 11:11 PM in response to Bennie-O

Yes, but if there is no "more" button you are back to square one.

What I did was balance whether I wanted a crippled new version of an Apple app (so intent to make everything IOS that Apple has forgotten that its the software that also counts, and a MacPro isn't an iPad) or just junk the version it wants to update and start using a much older version that was still on my drive. So I junked Pages 09 and will, if needed, use Pages 08. Or Word.

But Mavericks is such a lame duck.

I used to be able to drag a window to the side of the display and that window would go into the next desktop. I guess its another feature of Mavericks that you can't do that any more - or is there a super duper hidden option buried somewhere in a preference pane (really starting to be more and more like Windows).

The more I use Mavericks, the more I hate it. Now I have to command-click on a folder to have it open in a new window. Before, it was just double click. Fast, effecient. I guess its Apple trying to get us to use window tabs, which might be great if I was using an iPad but not for a Mac. Too bad Apple hasn't figured out that a pad or a phone are for one thing, and desktops and laptops are for other things. I can't see myself loading in an Aperture library of 168 gig (usual few weeks of shooting) and edit it on an iPad, but strange things are happening in Aperture 3.5.1, such as after an edit the edited file ends up at the beginning of the images, though it was located 500 frames down. Click again and the image goes back into the proper order, but now I have to scroll down to 500 images to find the next image to edit. Another merging of IOS and Mac OS?

I'm just ranting. One thing after another with Mavericks. More frustration than even a free download is worth.

Dec 5, 2013 7:10 AM in response to HowardV

Here's my workaround to getting the App Store to quit nagging me about updating iWork.

The jist of the workaround is that the App Store uses Spotlight to determine what's installed. You have to make the applications invisible to Spotlight and also make the App Store forget it ever saw them on your computer.

1. In Systems Preferences > Spotlight, privacy tab; add the iWork subfolder ( e.g. /Applications/iWork '09) to locations which Spotlight will not search.
  2. Delete the root partition Spotlight database. From the command line enter:

sudo mdutil -Ei off /

3. Reset the App Store and delete the App Store cookies.

See this discussion for instructions.

4. Quit the App Store.
  5. Rebuild the Spotlight Database for the root partition. From the command line enter:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Once the Spotlight database is rebuilt you can open and log back into the App Store. You should have any notices about the applications in the ignored folders selected in step 1 above.

Good luck.

"Ignore Update" option nolonger available post-Mavericks?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.