Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't the ipad have a calculator?

The iPhone came with a really nice Rams inspired calculator by default. Why isn't there one on the ipad by default?

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 1:26 PM

93 replies

Jan 29, 2017 11:58 PM in response to jaimango

You use your phone.

Your iPhone (and even Android) has a stock calculator app because they are always on your person. If people (we) started carrying iPads with them to the bathroom and on dates then perhaps Apple should consider a calculator app. Until then it's like finding a phonebook outside your front door...

Redundant.

But then again if that was their logic then why would they (Apple) include iMaps on tablets?

Now I am wondering if iMaps is as sucky on iPhone as it is on iPad but I suppose that's a question for a different post.

May 30, 2017 6:02 PM in response to Father crow

Father crow wrote:

I Am not a fan of calculators on App Store would like to have the calculator apple includes on iPhone

That's a really funny comment, because there are hundreds of posts here in the forum from users saying that the included calculator is terrible.

Unfortunately, you can't have the calculator that Apple includes on the iPhone, so you will have to either do without a calculator or try one of the 100+ calculators in the app store. I have several of them; I've never used the built in calculator. My favorite is the HP-12C emulator. As I've got two "real" HP-12C Platinum models, it's very convenient.

May 30, 2017 6:43 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

It's 2017!!!

How long is this post about IPads NOT including a calculator app from Apple going to continue?

I have pretty much given up ANY hope of Apple designing a calculator app for the iPad!

Apple doesn't have a Stock app or weather app for the iPad, either!

There are plenty of great third party free and paid calculator and weather apps for the iPad!

I don't even think the Apple Pencil is anything to rave and jump for joy about for iPad Pro models.

I think the Apple Pencil is poorly designed and implemented on iPad Pro models!

Many third party stylus makers I think better design and better implement their smart Bluetooth stylii with Apple iDevices than Apple, itself!

May 30, 2017 6:46 PM in response to isoLOWiL00Kblind

isoLOWiL00Kblind wrote:

You use your phone.

Your iPhone (and even Android) has a stock calculator app because they are always on your person. If people (we) started carrying iPads with them to the bathroom and on dates then perhaps Apple should consider a calculator app. Until then it's like finding a phonebook outside your front door...

Redundant.

But then again if that was their logic then why would they (Apple) include iMaps on tablets?

Now I am wondering if iMaps is as sucky on iPhone as it is on iPad but I suppose that's a question for a different post.

Apple Maps app has been just fine and peachy for me for the last few years!

Why do you think Apple Maps is, in your words, "sucky"?

May 30, 2017 6:48 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

How long is this post about IPads NOT including a calculator app from Apple going to continue?

It will most likely keep going until sometime after Apple stops making iPads. Surely you remember some of those interminable Flash threads? Adobe stopped making Flash for mobile devices but people kept on demanding that Apple do something about it.

Nov 19, 2017 7:53 PM in response to jaimango

It probably has something to do with the fact that people want a calculator built in on their phone because it's small and convenient. People also would want it on their computers because it's easy to type in what you want and have other programs where a calculator on their computer is quick and easy. Apple probably didn't think it was needed for iPads since they are bigger than iPhones, but are still mostly like iPhones. I hope this makes sense.

Nov 19, 2017 8:09 PM in response to ColyWoly

You are incorrect about this.

The “official” Apple reason has already been posted in a higher up reply on this VERY page!

In case you gave up trying to find the real reason for no calculator app on iPad in this post, here is another copy of the link here, just for you!

This is THE ONLY OFFICIAL APPLE reason for this!

https://www.cultofmac.com/421893/why-the-ipad-has-never-shipped-with-a-calculato r-app/

Nov 20, 2017 11:49 AM in response to deggie

Tim Cook has had a very similar story to tell about this in a Charlie Rose interview sometime back when Rose interviewer him from Apple headquarters and asked him about the the whole missing calculator on the iPad.

Also, this story was iterated many years earlier in another online post as I have always known about this, but could never find the original story from around early 2014 or so.

Apple just could not come up with an iPad calculator app for iPad that was, distinctly, uniquely, Apple designed!

Tim Cook basically told this whole story to Charlie Rose and stated that with the proliferation of great calculator apps for iPad, by lots of third party developers, Apple has no more interest in persuing the development of a unique calculator app for iPad, any longer!

They are pursuing larger interests, now!

Why doesn't the ipad have a calculator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.