Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture post import Issue - whats going on?

Hi all.

I've just imported a number of folders containing photos using the 'import files and folders as events' or something similar.

Now it's finished, it seems to have overwritten previously imported photos - example below.

Project A should contain 30 photos imported photos from my underwater - imported a week ago without any issues.

Project B should contain 7,000 photos imported from folders and files from over a few years from my DSLR - imported tonight.

After import, I selected Folder A (hoping to see underwater photos), and they start changing before my eyes! They physically swapped out for photos i'd imported tonight (Project B) in front of my very eyes!!!

Anyone know how to revert or fix this???

Thanks in advance/

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 3:04 PM

12 replies

Oct 31, 2013 2:23 AM in response to Rocket Man PF7

How exactly did you import?

I've just imported a number of folders containing photos using the 'import files and folders as events' or something similar.

If you used "File > Import > Folders as Projects" you should have had an option to import referenced or managed. Did you select to "Store Files" in their current location or relocated them to a different folder, or did you import into the Aperture library?

Did you rename the images on import?

And the underwater images, that seem to have vanished, are they referenced or managed?

Léonie

Oct 31, 2013 12:50 PM in response to Rocket Man PF7

I imported into the aperture library and left orginals in their current location.

Can it be, that the new photos you imported just now, were imported from the same folder as your underwater photos? It looks, lik your new photos may have replaced the originals of your underwater photos.

You can check, if the originals are still o.k., by selecting one of your "Underwater photos" and using the command "File > Show in Finder".

Is the original still o.k.?

Nov 2, 2013 5:48 AM in response to firstlaunch

Hi firstlaunch

When I selected the project containing the photos, they listed in the bottom half of the Apeerture window, but then it seemed to systmatically go through them one by one changing the details and the small preview on each line.

I did try and repair but it didn't work.

As we had storms in the south of the UK which led to power cuts my back-up drive was off and I forgot until it was too late. Still have the masters, but the library has had it. I'll have to start again 😠

Nov 2, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Rocket Man PF7

We had that same storm over here in Hamburg a day later, rather bad, but luckily no power cuts.

my back-up drive was off and I forgot until it was too late.

But do you have a backup of the library from before your last import?

This is the third report in a row that referenced originals on a NAS are having issues since upgrading to Mavericks. OSx Mavericks update - unusable Aperture

Your library may very well be o.k., but for the imports done after the Mavericks update.

When starting over, I'd use a directly connected drive formatted MacOS X Extended for your referenced originals, and avoid the NAS; until we know for sure, whats up with referenced originals on a NAS.

Nov 2, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Rocket Man PF7

There are a few more tricks you can try. I will assume you are in Split View mode. I'm still not clear if it's the thumbnail or preview that is wrong.

1. Select one of the images that had changed and Select Photos>Reprocess Original.

2. Select one of the images that had changed and Select Photos>Generate Thumbnails.

3. Select one of the images that had changed and Select Photos>Delete Preview and the Update Preview.

If these do not work, I suggest a Rebuild of the library (gholding down the Option+CMD keys on launch.

Nov 14, 2013 6:16 AM in response to Clem

Hi Clem

At the time of the issue, the physical master files were on an iOmega Home Network Cloud Edtion NAS.

I imported these into Aperture so I would keep my 'master', then there would be another in USER/PICTURES/APERTURE/APERTURE.LIBRARY (or whatever it's called). I was hoping for time machine then to back up the library which contatins the photos and adjustments etc, and my NAS would contain the orginal from my camera - this is also back-up daily with a secondary NAS.

I think the issue has arisen when I've imported subsequent batches from pre-built folders (built by a non-aperture import tool). The comand 'import files and folders as projects' (or whatever it's called) has mismatched the referenced/managed libraries that Aperture uses.

So I will start again, but I will have to purchased some sort of UPS system moving forward.

Sorry for the "(or whatever it's called)" but I'm hoping you get the idea - I'm repling to you when not at home in front of my machine.

Aperture post import Issue - whats going on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.