Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother ds-600 Scanner not found in Mavericks

I had installed a Brother DS-600 mobile scanner in OS X 10.8 with no problems. Now I upgraded to Mavericks. I have reinstalled the latest driver from Brother for 10.9 support (Mavericks)

The Scanner is not seen at all in Image Capture or under Printers/Scanners. I do see a shared brother MFC machine on the network but that is another computer in another room. Not sure what else to look for. Tried different USB ports, new cable, reinstalled driver twice, nothing - like it does not exist.

Any help appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 6:19 PM

29 replies

Nov 2, 2013 3:00 PM in response to BLWJR

I finally got a response from Brother. They suggested I install Presto PageManager SE as a workaround. I did that but the scanner is still not detected and as a result that is not a fix.

Brother acknowledged that they are seeing this problem in Mavericks, but also said they have no suggestions for me other than wait for an update from them.

I saw other threads and went to Terminal to run: "lpstat -s" for what that is worth, here's my output:

DAVID-HAYESs-iMac:~ TKHayes$ lpstat -s

system default destination: OKI_DATA_CORP_B410

device for _192_168_17_103: lpd://192.168.17.103/

device for Brother_MFC_8890DW_PS: lpd://192.168.17.103/

device for OKI_DATA_CORP_B410: usb://OKI%20DATA%20CORP/B410?serial=AL1C011049

DAVID-HAYESs-iMac:~ TKHayes$

Nov 8, 2013 3:39 AM in response to mkantro

I see the same thing, but still does nto work.

from System Information ==> USB:

DSmobile 600:

Product ID: 0x204e

Vendor ID: 0x04f9 (Brother International Corporation)

Version: 7.03

Serial Number: 0

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Brother

Location ID: 0xfa140000 / 5

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

Nov 8, 2013 4:36 PM in response to Ginny-N

OK, I did in fact finally get it working. Installed 10.9 driver from Brother website, reboot. Install Pagemanager from original CD that came with the scanner.

Scanner seen inside the scanner button element of tthe PageManager software and works OK there. I can then export or whatever to other applications, but still frustrating. Brother needs to fix whatever it is that is stopping their scanner from being properly configured.

Nov 9, 2013 6:22 AM in response to davidtkhayes

Come on BroTher! This really really *****!

I bought the DS-600 specificly because it was supposed to support OS-X, but I cant even use the native scanner interface (which works just fine). The scanner now works with Presto!, but I really, REALLY do not want to use that piece of unstable bloatware! It took me 5 attempts to scan and bundle 4 pages to a PDF file (software keeps crashing or does not scan the lower part of the page).

Brother ds-600 Scanner not found in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.