Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air : taping on its glass is louder than before?

Hi

I've just bought an iPad Air and one thing I really don't like about it is the sound it produces when i'm taping on its glass.

The sound is 2-3x louder than the sound of my previous iPad 1 and iPad 3, and the pitch is higher. It almost sounds as if my iPad Air was hollow.

I'm wondering if that's normal or not.

If I put one finger on the glass and type on it with another finger, the vibration is transmitted in a very noticable way. It wasn't the case with the original iPad and the "new" iPad.

So what I'm wondering is if it's a normal thing for the iPad Air, or if the glass of mine is not very well mounted (which could explain the transmission thing, hence the louder sound).

It really feels like my Air's construction is of much lower quality than those of my previous iPad, and it seems more fragile, too.

Did anybody else noticed that?

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:10 AM

53 replies

Nov 1, 2013 7:34 AM in response to sunjohn

sunjohn wrote:

The sound is 2-3x louder than the sound of my previous iPad 1 and iPad 3, and the pitch is higher. It almost sounds as if my iPad Air was hollow.

This would seem quite normal, because the device's physical size is smaller. A smaller device/smaller piece of glass resonates at a higher frequency than a larger device/larger piece of glass does.

sunjohn wrote:

It really feels like my Air's construction is of much lower quality than those of my previous iPad, and it seems more fragile, too.

It could be that you're just too "used to" the previous iPad. And when something is lighter in weight, it may give the illusion that it's of lower quality or build.

Not having seen nor handled the iPad Air first-hand, I can't really comment much more on what it feels like to use it. What I can say is that you will get used to it. Consider yourself fortunate to have one and enjoy your new iPad Air! 🙂

Nov 1, 2013 9:59 AM in response to sunjohn

i went back to the store and tried the demo unit : it's exactly the same.

something you might try : turn the screen off and place it so you have some geometric (straight) shapes reflecting on the glass. put your finger : the reflexion distorts even with a very light pression.

if you have an older iPad, try with it : you have to press much more to see the same effect.

what i suspect is that it's an accepted tradeoff from Apple ; this flexibility probably helps the glass to absorb shocks instead of breaking.

but I don't like it, it feels a bit toyish compared to the original iPad.

@SergZak : about size and sound : yep but the difference is huge, the size can't be the only explanation. the materials are clearly different. but you're right, i have iPads since the original iPad introduction and i probably need to be accustomed to these new feel and sound.

anyways, i'm already enjoying it :-)

Nov 1, 2013 10:30 AM in response to sunjohn

sunjohn wrote:

turn the screen off and place it so you have some geometric (straight) shapes reflecting on the glass. put your finger : the reflexion distorts even with a very light pression.

if you have an older iPad, try with it : you have to press much more to see the same effect

That's a good test and going by that alone, it would *appear* that the glass may either be thinner or more flexible in it's physical properties (maybe a different fomulation of Gorilla Glass). I think these are all necessary evils involved with getting the device to fit the "Air" name (1 US pound). People want thin and light...that's what they're getting here.

Previous Gen iPads did not have to live up to the "Air" aspect of being an iPad. The 3rd gen and 4th gen are plenty light and thin enough for me. If I ever do end up getting an Air, I'll bet I'll get used to it very quickly, then pick up an older iPad and wonder how I ever tolerated that immense size and weight. Would anyone like to buy an old iPad Tank?

Nov 2, 2013 2:09 AM in response to sunjohn

I was about to post the same question. To me, the iPad Air feels cheap because of the thinner glass that flexes when you tap it. I'm going to return mine to the Apple Store tomorrow and buy a 4th generation iPad online. Also I much prefer iOS 6 to 7. I'm surely in the minority here, but I have been really dissapointed with Apple post-Steve Jobs. 😟

Nov 2, 2013 4:40 PM in response to sunjohn

I think the glass is thinner than my ipad 3.

When i pressed the air little bit hard than normal touch, I could actually touch the LCD, which distorted the picture.

It's like touching your old LCD screen. The color disperses from where you pressed.

I tried it on my ipad 3. But it was much harder. I could only do it in the center.

But with ipad air, you could pretty much press anywhere hard and you get that distorted lcd image.

I was very disappointed with the glass thinckness.

I think apple should have kept the original glass thickness at least..

Nov 4, 2013 1:14 PM in response to myd

How thin is too thin? In the quest for "thinness", sacrifices have to be made. How much thinner do the masses want these devices anyways before they start to feel fragile? For myself personally, the iPad 3 & 4 are the perfect size/weight/strength. Maybe after I get an Air and use one for a period of time, I may change my mind.

Nov 4, 2013 5:34 PM in response to Matty Chang

Matty Chang wrote:

You can still have thin without the drumming noise. Just pack the battery right up against the back of the screen.

Yes, that's one way. But I believe the battery is already crammed up against the back of the screen. Just looking at teardown shots (ifixit.com), there is virtually zero free space inside an iPad already. However Apple is reducing the overall thickness of the unit, they seem to be doing so by reducing thickness in the aluminum back and maybe the glass. Also likely thinning out the battery as well. It's pretty much anyones guess as to what exactly is going on in the thinning process. Reducing thickness by reducing mass is inevitably going to make for a "cheaper" feel. Like I mentioned, people want thin buy going *too* thin is going to affect the overall feel of the unit...there's no getting around that.

Nov 6, 2013 11:28 PM in response to wcm2000

"I have the same issue. I don't like the feel and sound of the glass."

"The Air's display is 1.8mm thick and the touchscreen uses a cyclo olephin polymer film sensor rather than the thicker (and cheaper) glass sensor previously used"

( http://www.zdnet.com/ipad-air-teardown-how-fewer-leds-iphone-components-helped-a pple-slash-costs-7000022862/ )

I also preferred the sound & feel of the iPad 4's touchscreen. From the beginning I felt like the iPad Air was flimsy and feels cheaper overall, mainly because of the screen tapping sounding hollow and the touchscreen bending upon pressure. In my opinion it is not related to the device's overall weight, because the iPhone 5(s/c) also got lighter & thinner compared to the 4(s), yet didn't feel cheaper / less sturdy.

So the touchscreen's sound & feel is a bit of a disappointment, but I am still overall happy that the device got so much lighter (especially when reading ebooks), however, an additional 10g for a harder touchscreen surface wouldn't have hurt me either. I am a bit worried about the screen's scratch sensitivity now :/

iPad Air : taping on its glass is louder than before?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.