Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"this accessory may not be supported" iOs 7.0.3

Since updating to iOS 7.0.3 I've getting a prompt "this accessory may not be supported" after a few minutes charging.

Charging then stops and I've unplug the cable and reconnect, then hopefully get another 5 minutes before the message appears again. The phone is pretty much unusable now as I can't get it charged. Only using genuine apple cables (have tried 4 seperate cables) and have tried charging both via the wall and the laptop, but the result is the same.

Need a solution for this ASAP.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 2:14 PM

68 replies

Jan 3, 2017 6:58 PM in response to W1ll1am

I just started encountering the problem with an old iPad after moving residences. Looked at all the help comments. Have multiple chargers and cables both original and knock-offs, nothing worked. There was an update to iOS available, so I downloaded it...but then I couldn't install it due to the fact that the power level was <50%, and it wasn't plugged in. Thought that was a catch-22, but I plugged it in anyway...and voila...it's charging. My issue clearly had something to do with iOS...but I didn't actually update the iPAD, just downloaded the new version. Very strange, but it's charging now, so good luck to all who are encountering the issue. Luckily the other 5 iPADs and 4 iPhones we have are not having the problem.

Apr 29, 2017 9:21 AM in response to ryanoryan22

This problem began occurring when I upgraded my iPhone 6 Plus and my iPad 2 to IOS 10.3.1. Now, none of my portable chargers work for either device. I have used one of those chargers for a long time, especially on international trips. Also, my USB hub no longer works to charge either device. However, I can use the same cables and, when connected to the wall outlet via Apple converter, both devices charge just fine. I have three non-Apple cables that have worked for years.

If this were a dust in the port issue, it is unlikely that it would affect both machines simultaneously and also unlikely that I could successfully charge directly from the outlet. If this were a cable issue, it seems unlikely that all three cables would fail simultaneously nor that they would work when the device is charging from an outlet.

Though this issue may have existed for various valid reasons (dust, cable, etc.) previously, it seems that IOS 10 has introduced additional restrictions on the quality of the current detected by the device.

I suspect that this has a broad and serious impact on IOS users, especially those who travel extensively and must rely on intermediate accessories to charge their Apple devices.

If Apple cannot provide effective and immediate remediation, they should revert to previous settings. If they are too proud to do this, they should at least provide a list of acceptable accessories. I particularly need a battery pack for travel and I must also use current converters in foreign countries.

I am hoping that Apple does not suggest that we must buy only Apple cables, Apple battery packs and Apple travel accessories in order for our phones and tablets to be functional. This would be very shortsighted and a marketing mistake.

Nov 3, 2013 6:41 AM in response to ryanoryan22

Think I may have stumbled on to the answer after reading several of the posts here. It's not the cables. It's got to do with the power being output through the cable. I bought a cheap $10 Rayovac AAA powered USB charger to use as an emergency backup charger. There are 3 green LEDs on the charger to let you know the power output. When AAAs are fresh (3 LEDs lit) it charges without a problem. When it gets down to just one LED lit on the charger I start getting the "this accessory may not be supported message." The weaker the AAAs becomes the more frequently the message pops up. Put fresh batteries in and the message doesn't come up anymore. So it's not the cable or software, it's the power being output by whatever the cable is plugged into. iOS7 must have a minimum power level it needs to support charging. Hope this helps.

Nov 3, 2013 9:00 AM in response to ryanoryan22

ryanoryan22 wrote:

No offence but it's obviously nothing to do with the charging port. This a software issue since the roll out of iOS 7.0.3 I see today many more people complaining on forums about the same issue. Hopefully actually do something about it and roll out a fix ASAP.

Actually, it is either the port or the charger. It is not iOS 7.0.3. A simple search would reveal this issue occurring on multiple iDevices across multiple iOS versions.

Clean the port.

Use a supported cable.

Dec 19, 2013 6:47 AM in response to jrwoodfield

i've been having this issue for some weeks now, and it happens more when it's plugged to the wall charger... i don't have an apple supported cable, and i dont feel like buying one because they are a bit too expensive here; i dont have the original cable because that one broke too. Everything started happening when i updated the iOS, and also when the charger broke (i mean, the plug that goes in the phone separated from the plastic support and the 4 cables can be seen, and one is loose, but i can make it charge, but after a few minutes the same error pops up again). The thing is that sometimes it happens and sometimes no; the other night i connected it and it charged full 100% and in the morning it was still charging, meaning the error didnt pop up, but now for example, i have that error every 5 minutes lets say. Sure i'll have to gather some money and buy a new cable, then i hope it wont happen again...

"this accessory may not be supported" iOs 7.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.