Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change folder icon for an alias on Mavericks

I know how to change a folder icon -- Cmd-I and copy/paste an image to the top-left icon. It turned out that this (simple & beautiful) trick does not work for an alias folder, i.e., the folder you made by "Make Alias" or Cmd-L. Does anybody has the same issue? And, does anybody found a work-around? This was not an issue before Mavericks. Thanks a lot!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 3:48 PM

31 replies

Nov 25, 2013 1:11 PM in response to steve8771

The Icon is modified after you paste the new image, but the Finder just doesn't show it properly. Just copy the alias with modified icon to the desktop. There it should show the new icon. You can also rename the containing folder and restart the Finder. It seems that the Finder is keeping its icons in two places and updates only one of them after a change.

Nov 29, 2013 6:51 AM in response to Lavarose

In my case, if I delete the alias and make a new one elsewhere, the alias gets the new icon, but if I put the remade alias in the same folder and I name it as the old alias, the old alias icon will be shown instead of the new one. You may not see it right away, but most probably after the finder is restarted (or reboot, or relogin).

So far, I have two simple ways to get around this bug (but still annoying). (1) If the original icon has changed and I want the alias to show the new icon, I remake the alias and rename it to a differnt name from the original alias. To simplify things, I just add a space at the end of the alias name, so the displayed name is still the same, but any other changed alias name will work. (2) If I want to change only the icon of the alias (which would then be different from the original), I paste the new image in the information window of the alias (at the top left corner), then I rename the alias. Both methods will not show the result immediately, but will eventually after some finder windows are closed and reopened later. To see the result quicker, just relaunch the Finder (in the Apple menu, choose force quit, then select Finder and click the relaunch button).

Dec 5, 2013 8:51 AM in response to swulfson

Swulfson, if you rename your new alias with the same name as the old alias had and put it in the same folder as it was (you may have to delete, move or rename the old one), do you still have the expected icon? I don't.

While trying your trick, I found that for some reason, the aliases with wich I had experimented so far to correct their icon are now showing the right icon without having to be renamed. I decided then to experiment with aliases that I have put in a new folder.

Feb 13, 2014 8:07 PM in response to aprp

I also had the same question and followed the advice given here.

I find that, if the name of the Alias is the same as another file/folder that has existed, the Finder seems to remember that and keeps assigning the same icon as the older file. I kept pasting the new icon in the Info window but it reverts to the old icon.

But after I restart the computer, that memory is purged and the new icon appears.

Apr 15, 2014 4:36 AM in response to NoomNoi

NoomNoi, this trick is the same as renaming the alias icon and it won't work if the word "alias" has already been removed before you change the icon, or if you have created the alias by alt-cmd-dragging the original icon to the alias destination folder (which creates the alias with the original icon name without the "alias" word).

May 27, 2014 11:07 PM in response to aprp

NoomNoi is right but there's more to that go through the standard way of changing the icon then change the name of the alias folder - it seems the old icon locks to the folder title, the name cange releases it.

I had to do this everytime I need to change the icon

PS suprising when you change the folder title back the icon chnages back also .... weird.

Sep 9, 2014 3:42 AM in response to aprp

Hey i had the same problems as well.

If its not working don't waste your time and try my solution.

Right click on the folder you like to change and select Get Info or use hotkeys cmd + I

Now find the image file you like to use and right click on it >> select open with Safari.

After the image is opened in Safari drag and drop the image from safari to the Info window of the folder directly on the folder icon on the top left.

Done!

Hope this works for you too.

Have a nice day...

Can't change folder icon for an alias on Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.