Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickLook is crashing the Finder in Mavericks

In Mountain Lion, I could view a folder of JPG files in the Finder, hit the spacebar, and view the file in QuickLook. Then I could use the arrow keys to quickly move up and down in the list to find a certain picture.

In Mavericks, I can do the same thing, only the Finder crashes after several pictures are displayed.

Surely the Finder isn't running out of memory, I have 16 GB installed. Anyone know why this is happening, or how I can fix it?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 16 GB RAM, 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 6:17 AM

16 replies

Nov 14, 2013 12:44 PM in response to tikilab

Same here. Going through folders with lots of images, even fairly small ones of about 3mb in size crash the finder. It's pretty random though. Sometimes I can go through lots of images with no porblems and other times I get the spinning beachball . I wish Apple would focus on making more reliable operating systems instead of trying to rush out a new version so often. Unfortunately I think this is a bug in the OS that can't be fixed unelss Apple does something about it.

Mar 10, 2014 8:11 PM in response to RachedH

I've had these same exact ame issues as well:

it crashes while viewing mp4 and mp3's

While slow with jpg and pdf it does work

after "upgrading" to 10.9 from 10.8 on a 2007 MBP4,1. None of the usual techinques addressed the problem—creating a new user fixed it but only under that new user account—so I've been looking for a workable, non-disruptive solution.

This evening I tried something I _thought_ I'd tried early on but apparently either didn't do or didn't have success with when I did: booting the problem user account in Safe Mode, then rebooting it in regular mode. While in Safe mode, I couldn't get the media to actually play via QuickLook, but I did get the QL viewer to pop up and not vaporize the Finder.

After the reboot, all the previously-problematic filetypes (mp3, wav, mp4, m4v) now preview as expected under my regular user account. Joy!

I'm not sure what got flushed or unwedged by that one Safe Mode boot, but it definitely took care of my QuickLook issues. Will the fix be permanent? We'll see.

QuickLook is crashing the Finder in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.