Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air has serious display issue

Got iPad Air on Nov.1 and found some serious display issue. As shown below, Area A, B, D seemed to be darker than other areas. This problem was so obvious that the apple store staff replaced it with another new ipad immediately. But the problem remains. Area A and B was less obvious this time but Area C was brighter (backlight is there. this situation happened a lot on cellphone screens like NOKIA ones back in 2006!!!) while Area D was darker.

After checking several samples in the store, I found this was a common issue. A lot of users in China complain about the same problem.

I returned the iPad for now. Hope that Apple could explain why this happens and solve this issue ASAP. I really like this product...

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 9:13 AM

24 replies

Nov 3, 2013 10:03 AM in response to jerrymc2

My iPad air had the exact same issue in the same areas you mentioned. I returned it and my second one also has the issue. I will be returning this second one as well.

Some have it far worse than others. My second unit was better but stil had the display issues.

My advice would be to return the iPad air and wait a few months if possible until apple fixxes this issue or open yours in store to ensure you like what you see first before leaving.

Make sure you check the edges and rotate the ipad to see the side dark cast move around. Check it on white (use the photos app for an almost white screen and backgrounds, etc).

Of course if you are not using the iPad air for any kind of serious photo work or dont mind the slight display problems (some are better than others) the ipad air itself works fine.

Sad to see this though. My old iPad 2 has no issues with the display.

Nov 3, 2013 7:16 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

i did. the genius told me he actually saw nothing abnormal. "All I see is a gorgous screen." that's what he said. While i tilted the screen to make the darker area more obvious for him to see, he argued "you know, you're not suppose to watch your screen from the angle." anyway, another apple staff told me to wait for a while till next circle of ipads come.

Nov 5, 2013 7:24 PM in response to jerrymc2

I thought this article (linked below) was very interesting in light of this iPad Air display issue.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57610983-37/fewer-leds-mean-leaner-ipad-air-re searcher-says/

Note that the number of backlight LEDs has been reduced in the Air. Previous gen devices used 84 individual LEDs while the Air uses only 36. That's quite a significant drop (less than 1/2 the number of LEDs in previous gen devices).

iPad Air has serious display issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.