Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16gb in mid 2010 7.1 macbook pro

Hi guys,

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro 7.1 with currently 4gb of ram.

OWC says this model can be upgraded to 16gb.

However, I would like to know if it will work with 2 8gb 1600Mhz, 204 pins, cards, more specifically, these ones:

Kingston Apple Memory 8 GB SODIMM DDR3-1600

I bought the package, so if you guys know if it will work than i can return it without opening.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 12:57 PM

23 replies

Nov 12, 2013 11:12 AM in response to gunnar-mobimation

I also have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 7,1 with 4GB of RAM running OSX Mavericks.

I bought two sticks of 8GB DDR3 PC3-8500 SODIMM 1066MHz RAM.

When I install them both, the laptop doesn't boot. (stays at the grey screen).

I tried installing each individually with a 2GB stick, and the computer boots and runs for a couple hours but ultimately fails.

Do you think this is a Mavericks firmware upgrade problem? Has anyone tried upgrading RAM after they updated to 10.9?

Apr 23, 2014 10:21 AM in response to Jack H Ng

Well, you see, here is the potential problem: OWC has tested it to work with 16 GB with the RAM they offer; other suppliers may/would not have the exact same RAM and so may not offer it or won't guarantee it since Apple's official statement is 8 GB.

This is my very personal opinion: I would only go above Apple's recommendation if I then bought it from the place that tested it and guaranteed it to work. Not sure that I would trust a different source.

Additionally, no matter how much RAM you put in: keep the original RAM modules; if there is a problem with the machine and you need to take it in to Apple, put back the original RAM. That is what Apple told me as they want to test it with original equipment plus you'll have the modules to test the RAM in case there is a problem with those.

Apr 23, 2014 12:18 PM in response to babowa

The 16GB I bought from a german Ebay seller worked fine. They claimed that it would work specifically in the 2010 7.1 model. I still use that Macbook daily. It´s these modules:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-8GB-16GB-DDR3-1066-Mhz-1067-Apple-MacBook-Pro-iMac-ma c-mini-PC3-8500S-SO-DIMM-/351041951314?pt=DE_Technik_Computerzubehör_Arbeitsspei cher&hash=item51bbbb1652

In my case RAM usage seldom exceed some 8GB anyway so my extra 8GB was mostly to experience how it would work.

If you insist to run a virtual machine to for example run another operating system in addition to OSX the 16GB will be a benefit.

But any 4GB user just upgrading to 8GB will realize the 2010 model may not need a replacement any time soon.

Apr 23, 2014 12:24 PM in response to mobimation

Thanks to you both. I'm going to bite the bullet and order it from this German eBay seller then.

Time to give this 2010 13" MacBook Pro a new life. I'm still on the original 2x2GB RAM that came with it.

I'm starting to do some web design, and can see running Photoshop, iPhoto, a web design app (Flux 4), and lots of Safari tabs and windows opened simultaneously would be difficult.

Apr 23, 2014 3:11 PM in response to mobimation

I took a look now at the current RAM usage and with Mavericks the previous mostly unused 8Gb of my 16Gb total has now been put to good use by Mavericks as File Cache area. So the 16GB is useful. I read this is a good sign that OSX has sensed that this RAM portion is little used and will allocate it for caching purposes.

/gunnar Macbook Pro 7.1 2010 with Core 2 Duo and 16GB RAM, Sweden.

16gb in mid 2010 7.1 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.