Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop Icons winking in and out after Mavericks install

I just updated to Mavericks, and the most annoying thing is happening - every few seconds, ALL of the icons and folders on my desktop disappear, and then reappear again. The most irritating part about this is if I'm working within a folder that lives on the desktop, this winking forces the folder to close. This happens when working in external drives as well.

So one second, I'm organizing items in a folder, the next. BAM, GONE. Folder closes, all icons disappear from the desktop, and a moment later all icons reappear, but folder is still closed. Can anyone help me?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 4:33 PM

27 replies

Nov 5, 2013 4:02 AM in response to forestfaith

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the Google Drive tip! I just started experiencing this problem today and it was driving me nuts! Switching off G-Drive seems to have fixed the problem but, it is definitely annoying and very un-applish'.

Thankfully I also use a 3rd party service for my G-Drive which is still working fine. If anyone needs/wants desktop access (with local copies of files) I can highly recommend it. https://www.insynchq.com/

Nov 5, 2013 4:40 AM in response to Barbarellaf

My iMac (Mavericks installed on release day) developed 3 distinct issues overnight:

Desktop icons winking on & off

Typing in the Google search box in Safari collapses/resizes/blurs the Safari browser window.

These two issues required the removal of Google apps running on the iMac (like Google Drive - disabled it and changing the Safari seach engine away from Google)

Seems Google may be having some systemwide issues this morning ??

Another issue which developed overnight -

The green time machine icon issue (rebooting didn't fix it for me, nor did cycling the on/off switch, nor ejecting & unplugging the drive. I actually had to switch to a backup Passport drive to remedy this (icon return to green). I'm wondering if somehow these apparent Google issues didn't affect/corrupt the Time Machine backup process ?

Desktop Icons winking in and out after Mavericks install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.