Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Stop "Dot-Dot-Dot" Auto-Correcting into "Ellipses"?

Hi,

Since I upgraded to Mavericks, Mail.app started persistently auto-correcting three consecutive periods (dots) into the "ellipses" (single) character. This is not one of my System Preferences/Keyboard/Text/ replacement rules. Is there another place where such auto-correction rules are set/prevented?

Thanks, Tristan

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 6:47 PM

7 replies

Nov 4, 2013 8:35 PM in response to Tuttle

Thanks, Tony T1 & Tuttle,

It is indeed highly unintuitive and cryptic—and that's an understatement! In fact, neither does the System Preferences/Keyboard/Text joint (why?) option "Use smart quotes and dashes" nor do the separated ""Smart Dashes" and "Smart Quotes" give any indication that these commands also include the "..." → "…" substitution! (BTW, the difference is minor in some fonts, but very noticeable in others.)

User uploaded file

I was particularly interested in nixing thesubstitution in Mail.app, so Tony T1's answer is a tad more on point; both are however valuable! Thanks!!

How to Stop "Dot-Dot-Dot" Auto-Correcting into "Ellipses"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.