Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The 'Reimport from Camera / Archive' button does not appear in my file menu.

My last attempt to import material from my camera was interupted so not all the footage was imported to iMovie. I have re-attached the camera to try and reimport and the message on iMovie says that I should select the 'Reimport from Camera / Archie' option from the File Menu. Unfortunately, there is no such option in my file menu. I am using the latest version of iMovie 10.0 and my camera is a Panasonic HX-DC3. Help?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 2:05 AM

21 replies

Nov 13, 2013 7:54 PM in response to Rod Scott

i wasn't even interupted, it told me it had imported everything from my gopro then i aimlessly went onto edit. ejected the gopro, went down stairs. came up to continue only to find half of the vids missing from the project screen. telling me the file was missing as it was still on the camera. so i went to import again. it told me done. no not done still on camera only. then when i go to consolidate event files it tells me they are already there. no not there. i went to share finish project (after pluging gopro back in and finishing project with half the vids in the libary and the other half stillon the camera) it lets me share to the new iMovie theater but when i go to youTube it it tells me it cant as half of the files are still on the camera.

i hover over the camera icon on the video file in the project screen where it pops up a info window telling to reimport from camera/archive......... from the file/menu...

hm hmmmm

nowhere to be found.

think you forgot a few things apple.........

fix it up

Nov 14, 2013 5:08 AM in response to Rod Scott

Same here, no such option under the File menu. In my case, I tried to just import the same clip off of the SD card and the only thing it did was fill in the thumbnails. In the end, I deleted each bad clip entirely and reimported them one-by-one and they worked fine. It only failed to import, at least for me, when trying to import many clips in a batch.

Nov 20, 2013 3:31 PM in response to Rod Scott

Same! What software developer creates a tooltip that refers to something that does not exist! This is a huge issue. The behaviour is very deceiving to the user as to when something is actually imported and when something has failed. Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to drag a clip into the timeline without a warning that the project will not be complete until the import is finished AND THEN ALLOW THE USER TO SELECT TO FULLY IMPORT THE CAMERA.

Come on Apple. I was really enjoying the new version until this....

Frustrated

Chris

Jan 2, 2014 7:13 AM in response to ellenfromtacoma

No. There is no solution except to start again like previously stated. Also I don't import from caterers anymore, I insert the SD Card directly. Haven't had the problem since I started a new approach.

My problem also extended to the share options disappearing altogether. When I clicked on share an empty blank box appeared

Went through it with apple and did a share screen with them so they could see it for them selves and eventually they came up with 'PROGRAM BROKEN' uninstall and reinstall new download.

So in short. Directly from memory card if you can.

Jan 11, 2015 9:42 AM in response to elijahb15

Hey guys, this may be a little late but I was having this same problem a few days ago and have since figured out a way around it.

Since it only allows you to share to "Theater" but no other destination, do that. Then after it shares, do so again, but this time select the "replace" option when the system warns you about a duplicate already existing in theater. This process will replace the first movie by sending a 420 p, 720 p and 1080 p version to the trash bin. You can go into the trash bin and find these copies, then drag them back out onto your desktop and boom! You have the saved videos ready to be imported to Youtube (go through youtubes' uploading process) or emailed as a .mov file.

Just a side note, theater isn't made to allow duplicates (even though it warns you about it, yea I don't know..) but simply edit .1 seconds of a clip in the timeline and it SHOULD let you share it to theater as a duplicate. Hope this helps!

Nov 17, 2015 7:13 PM in response to Rod Scott

I have 'solved' the problem with a nasty workaround.

I have this problem with iMovie 10.1 on El Capitan, importing high res 1080p AVCHD format video from a Sony AVCHD Exmor camera.

I tried the approaches suggested elsewhere in this discussion thread to no avail. eg deleting the media events and contents in iMovie. I reimported, yet some files would import, and others - the same set - refused to import correctly. The message 'Reimport from Camera' was consistently displayed. I tried about six different approaches, eventually deleting all events where the troublesome video clips might have been lurking.

This worked:

1. Connect the camera as a USB device
  2. Open the SONYCAM device as a file folder on your desktop
  3. Copy the AVCHD item to your Mac desktop (This might not be necessary, but it's a safe way of doing things, I suspect.)
  4. Select AVCHD on your Mac desktop, then Right click selecting 'Show Package Contents'. Curiously, this option does NOT show as a Finder menu option. Blind luck I found this option!)
  5. Repeat Right click selecting 'Show Package Contents' with subsequent item BDNV
  6. Open folder STREAM within BDNV
  7. Note a list of filetypes .MTS within STREAM folder - these are your AVCHD movie clips. They will play with Quicktime, and can be dragged and dropped directly into an iMovie Media Event.
  8. eg Select and Right Click Open with Quicktime to find the clip(s) you want.
  9. Drag and drop required clips into iMovie Event.
  10. Note. If you right click the imported Movie event selecting 'Reveal in Finder', you will discover the .MTS media imported this way is stored as Kind = MPEG-2 Transport Stream (MTS!), whereas those clips imported successfully from the Sony Camera in AVCHD format will have been converted (perhaps?) by iMovie to Kind = Quicktime Movie. I feign ignorance of the distinction. However, both types can be used to create a Movie project, and you can SHARE successfully the resulting Project.

The 'Reimport from Camera / Archive' button does not appear in my file menu.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.