Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone to Android Imessage Problem!

I switched from an iphone to an android phone and when people try to text me it still sends imessages even though i unregestered my iphone. Now certain people cant even text me a normal text. Please help

iPhone 5, Imessage is always trying to be sen

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 12:02 PM

23 replies

Dec 6, 2013 6:30 AM in response to ScrewLooseOrTwo

If you cant access you iphone, you'll need to reset the password for your apple ID. My iphone died after I only had it for a year, so I switched to an Android. Since I could not deactivate imessage on the phone, I had to reset my apple ID. It's really easy. Here are the instruction on how to remove your cell number from imessage.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538

Dec 6, 2013 6:31 AM in response to Clyde77

If you cant access you iphone, you'll need to reset the password for your apple ID. My iphone died after I only had it for a year, so I switched to an Android. Since I could not deactivate imessage on the phone, I had to reset my apple ID. It's really easy. Here are the instruction on how to remove your cell number from imessage.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538

Jan 5, 2014 7:44 PM in response to Clyde77

How long should this process take? I unregistered my iphone a couple hours ago and I still cannot recieve texts from people with an iphone unless I message them first and they purposely use sms?

Does this take a while to work? Also, I called apple support and some automated voice said I needed to purpose a help agreemend for $19 dollars.

Feb 25, 2014 6:55 PM in response to ScrewLooseOrTwo

In case this is helpful to anyone else:

I switched from an iphone a few days ago, and because it died on me before the switch, I never had a chance to disable imessaging from it.

I tried deleting my iphone from https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do, and I tried texting STOP to 48369, and neither worked completel – it seems that if someone had an old thread of imessages with me, and they used that, then the new texts would still get sent as imessages. The problem is they wouldn't be delivered to me, and the person sending them wouldn't get any indication that the messages weren't received by me.

I called apple at 1-800-694-7466. The machine voice said I'd need to pay $20, but when I got a human on the line, they did not insist on the payment. They said they would revoke my certificate for imessaging on my cell number, and that this should take effect in 10-15 minutes. It took a lot longer - more than 8 hours - but it seems to be working now (finally).

Apr 3, 2014 6:38 PM in response to ScrewLooseOrTwo

My problem is that as soon as an iPhoner tried to message me, it would send as blue, but would error right away with a red exclamation mark saying "unable to deliver" (or whatever). I tried everything (remove phone number from profile, texting stop, turning off iMessage) before calling Apple. Still on the phone with them, the 4th person to speak to after being 'moved up' in the last 57 minutes, and they are completely baffled and can't figure it out. I think I may have made some progress though, by signing out of my App Store account from my iPhone, as now when I send myself a text from someone else's iPhone, it tries to send as iMessage, but doesn't error out right now, but instead (will eventually) time out and send as a regular green text. I'm thinking once that happens it should 'switch' to regular SMS from there on since the user's iPhone won't get an update from their servers saying I'm an iPhone user anymore

Apr 3, 2014 7:02 PM in response to Community User

Also I just found out that on the person's iPhone I'm borrowing, there's a setting in Settings > Messages > Send as SMS (Send as SMS when iMessage is unavaible. Carrier messaging rates may apply), and it's OFF by default, which makes very little sense. The message I had sent in my post above never timed out and went through as green, so I turned the setting for Send as SMS on and tried texting again. Started out as a blue iMessage, timed out after a few minutes, and sent as a green SMS and went through. The placeholder text in the input box changed from iMessage to Text Message. So I figured good to go from here on, at least for this person's iPhone at least. I deleted the text thread, and tried to retext myself, started out as iMessage again.. so no good.

Here's the important part

Just hung up with Apple, here's what I was told:

The tech told me this is a flaw with iOS that was supposed to have been addressed in iOS 7.1. He thought I had found a solution by setting "Send as SMS" in Settings > Messages to On. He told me until a fix for this comes out, I should tell all the people who have iPhones who have my phone number to go to their settings and turn it on (not even going to comment on how I feel about this). Obviously this isn't even a working solution. He then said that it's an issue with the iPhone's caching, that it's still associating my phone number to an iPhone, and that the token in the cache will expire in 45 days, and that's when it should renew the token and disassociate the phone number as an iPhone user and permanently switch to regular SMS.

So here's the bottom line: for at least 45 days, and possibly, maybe even not, if an iPhone user tries to send you a text, and they don't notice that the blue message never got a "Delivered" subtext, they'll think you're ignoring them, unless they know (because you've contacted all your iPhone users in your contacts) to go into their settings to turn on the aformentioned setting. If they text you and get an "Unable to Deliver" message with a red exclamation mark, they'll think you've disconnected your phone number, because just like the person I found out from today that this is what happened to them when they tried to text me, there's a very good chance that they won't be able to figure out that you can click on the red exclamation or hold down on the message to get a menu and hit "Send as Text Message". Soooo we'll see in 45 days then. I'm pretty sure this isn't a priority for Apple to fix since it's for people who no longer use their products.

iPhone to Android Imessage Problem!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.