Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just set up my new ipad Air and cannot set up my gmail account into mail ?

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 12:51 PM

21 replies

Nov 14, 2013 8:03 AM in response to etnab

I have the same problem. This link (below) indicates the old default "Gmail" settings are no longer available, and the new "(Google) E-Exhange" requires a paid subscription:

http://m.imore.com/did-you-lose-gmail-over-exchange-when-you-upgraded-new-iphone -5s-or-iphone-5c-here-are-your

This link offers several work-arounds, one of which is to use the default GMAIL setting (which no longer exists on iPad Air).

So, my question is, what are the default settings for an IMAP email account? Host name? Mail.Google.com? Outgoing mail server (not SMTP for IMAP, right?)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dec 18, 2013 2:23 AM in response to etnab

I couldn't add my two gmail accounts to the Air yesterday but this morning discovered it was to do with the two step verification within gmail. The article from the link below takes you to the google help page for this issue. It takes you through the steps of creating a password which allows you to use gmail on the device outside of browser mode (if you have two step verification in place). I successfully added both gmail accounts from Settings / Add Account / Gmail and used the one off password created through this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3058 instead of my usual gmail password. It's convoluted but it works. Good luck.

Dec 18, 2013 2:18 PM in response to etnab

EASY SIMPLE FIX....

The problem is Google.

I had the same problem, couldn't install Gmail on my ipad or iphone and kept saying wrong / incorrect password, error messages. Worked for hours and hours on this.

It is Google's (optional) 2-step verification system that is to blame.

Google won't tell you this, and instead, they have come up with work arounds, and even telling people to install the Gmail iPhone/ipad app, which then limites the iphone/pad functionality when not using iphone's native mail.

FIX:

Logon to Google...

Go into your Google account preferenes

DELETE your cell number used for 2-step verification...... leave it blank

(it is optional, Google does not require you use 2-step verification)

Thats it. Your'e done.

Now set up your Gmail (now called Google) as usual on your Apple device.

You don't need 2-step (optional) verification.

There are other secure ways to do this. It is an option, but Google goes out of it's way not to tell you this.

(and a great way for Google to gleen your personal information, in the name of security)

Hope this helps someone.

Dec 27, 2013 7:06 PM in response to etnab

What worked for me is explained in this video: http://youtu.be/zMabEyrtPRg

1- Open your gmail account on another computer

2- click on your profile Picture and Select "ACCOUNT"

3- On "Acount" Select "SECURITY"

4: in SECURITY under the PASSWORD menu "App passwords" click on "Settings"

it will show you the menu: Authorized Access to your Google Account

watch the video link (the same as the one on top) OR

Step 1 of 2: Generate new application-specific password

Enter a name to help you remember what application this is for: Example: My Iphone Gmail Account

It will generate a long password.... use that password on the gmail account you are trying to create on your iPad or iPhone..... continue and your are ALL SET!!!

I wish this will solve the issue!!!😎

Jan 13, 2014 7:18 PM in response to etnab

Feel like such a idiot.......... completely forgot (once AGAIN) that I have 2 Step verification on the Google accounts.

Just a case of follow the instructions for setting up a "Google" account (iOS7.04) then generate a NEW key (password) on your Google security page and.......... Bob's your uncle.

Getting way too old for this new fangled stuff, mind like a sieve these days. Truly get so miffed at myself for missing the bleeding obvious.

At least this thread saved (reminded) me from throwing a gigantic wobbly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.