Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with P-215

In OS 10.8 I had no problems with running my Canon P-215 and it was recognised in Image Capture.

However, after upgrading to Mavericks neither my MBP nor MBA will recognise my Canon P-215 in Image Capture!

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 1:07 PM

I have the same problem. The p-215 needs a TWAIN driver to be recognised by image capture, and other non-Canon software (like Yep, which I use for filing purposes). There is no OS X 10.9 compatible twain driver available for the p-215 yet. I contacted Canon Europe, and they couldn't tell me when - or if - one would come available.

For now the only option is downgrading to 10.8 to get it working again.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2013 1:07 PM in response to sllc

I have the same problem. The p-215 needs a TWAIN driver to be recognised by image capture, and other non-Canon software (like Yep, which I use for filing purposes). There is no OS X 10.9 compatible twain driver available for the p-215 yet. I contacted Canon Europe, and they couldn't tell me when - or if - one would come available.

For now the only option is downgrading to 10.8 to get it working again.

Nov 18, 2013 9:55 PM in response to PAHU

Yes it does, but that wasn't the question. It doesn't work with Image Capture, Yep, Photoshop, etcetera anymore. That it did was kind of was a major advantage over for instance fuji scanners. At least for me it wasthe prime reason to go for the p-215 only 6 months ago. I'm used to scrapping canon scanners prematurely because drivers don't get updated, but this is ridiculous. They still sell the scanner as twain compatible, it just isn't anymore.

Nov 18, 2013 10:13 PM in response to rjlin

I don't see how it would have worked with Image Capture as it requires an ICA driver - not a TWAIN driver.

And testing the P-215 just now on 10.8, it also does not appear in Image Capture, which is what I would expect.

As for the scanner not being TWAIN compatible, if you look at the /Library/Image Capture folder, you will see the folder TWAIN Data Sources and in here you will see the P215.ds file. This lets me scan a document into Acrobat Pro using the P-215 TWAIN driver as shown below.

User uploaded file

Nov 27, 2013 3:45 PM in response to PAHU

I'm saying a major selling point is the driver compatability, allowing one to use 3rd party software of their choice. Canon's product brochure reads “The P-215 scanner includes Windows ISIS¼/TWAIN drivers and a Mac TWAIN driver—industry‐standard interfaces for linking applications and scanners for easy integration with third‐party capture or content management systems.”

Nov 27, 2013 4:33 PM in response to PAHU

That is an excellent summation, PAHU. So assuming you're correct, and you're sounding confident and knowledgeable, the take away for people landing on this page researching the Canon scanner is as follows: The scanner is Mac compatible, but only if one installs and uses some 3rd party scanning software... one cannot use the software which is built into the Apple OS for the purpose of scanning, namely "Image Capture" or "Preview." --At least not at this time (always subject to change, of course).

Thanks for taking the time to answer persons in this thread, PAHU!

Nov 27, 2013 4:48 PM in response to gadawg98

gadawg98 wrote:

The scanner is Mac compatible, but only if one installs and uses some 3rd party scanning software...

Correct.

gadawg98 wrote:

one cannot use the software which is built into the Apple OS for the purpose of scanning, namely "Image Capture" or "Preview."

Correct again. Image Capture and Preview require an ICA driver. They don't support a scanner that has a TWAIN driver. So unless Canon releases an ICA driver for the P-215, or Apple changes the specs so that a TWAIN driver will work with Image Capture, then to use the P-215 on the Mac you must have a scanning application installed that supports TWAIN, such as Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro.

Nov 27, 2013 4:56 PM in response to sllc

sllc wrote:

However, after upgrading to Mavericks neither my MBP nor MBA will recognise my Canon P-215 in Image Capture!

Perhaps you should return one of the two machines to Mountain Lion. I was lucky: My HP M2727ns network multifunction didn't scan for a while with 10.9 but after bit of playing I got it back -- so I've left both my Air and Pro at 10.9.

Phil

Problems with P-215

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.