Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Highlight Text With Colors In New Version of Pages

How do you highlight text in the new version of pages?

I want to be able to use different colors for different sections of text.

Thanks!

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 10:58 AM

29 replies

Nov 9, 2013 7:28 AM in response to Peter Thomson

Thanks Peter. The "Advanced" icon is the one place I did not look/overlooked.

This change is a design flaw/failure in this new version of pages (which I will alert Apple of) for several reasons:

1. It now takes more clicks (in old version it took 2 clicks, here it takes 4. In Word it takes 2, 3 if you change the color)
  2. You have fewer colors to choose from
  3. This feature, if you are an editor or even a moderately sophisticated user, is not an "advanced" feature

If this is Apple's interface designers thinkIng "different" they need to think again. This is the kind of stuff Jobs would fire people for.

I understand the desire to add new features, using a side pane, etc. But this effort is an interface failure. The customer configurable toolbar is just better. We in the west read left to right, top to bottom, not left to right, and now right to left to add a function.

What do you think??

Thanks again.

Feb 26, 2014 6:31 AM in response to erniesfo

In case noone has discovered this since, once you have highlighted text in Pages '13 using the method described above, just select the text, and click on the "+" in the "Character styles" in the right sidebar. After doing that, when you want to highlight text, you just need to select it and apply the highlighted character style. 2 clicks.

Mar 26, 2014 8:05 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Did anyone say anything about printing or converting to .pdf?

You don't have to write a comment to use the highlight function, so I certainly wouldn't say it was "purely" for that. For editing it's hands-down the fastet way to highlight text in the app.

To be able to print highlighting you would have to use the 'advanced options' method suggested above. Once you've highlighted the text in whichever colour you like, select it and press alt+cmd+c which will 'copy' the style. From then on all you need to do select text you wish to highlight and press alt+cmd+v and it will 'paste' the style onto your selected text. It's not exactly one click, but still faster than anything else.

How Do I Highlight Text With Colors In New Version of Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.