Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my late 2013 13 inch MBP retina will not wake from sleep

evey time I put the mbp to sleep overnight it won't wake, causing this to have to do a hard shutt down. It happens every time.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 11:15 AM

6 replies

Nov 27, 2013 6:51 AM in response to marta152

Mine seemed to do the same thing, (just bought the MBP on Saturday, November 23rd) and last night when it wouldn't wake up, I noticed that I could *barely* see the box come up for my password. I entered my password (screen was almost completely black) and the screen changed to what it was on when it went to sleep - but was almost completely black. I thought it wasn't waking up, but when I have an overhead light on my screen, I see it's awake, but the screen is so very dark you can barely see it. When I turn off the overhead light, I can't see anything at all. I adjusted the display to as bright as it could go, and it made no difference. Don't know if you've noticed this same thing as well, or if it really isn't waking up at all for you.

I'm taking my computer back today. For this price, it isn't worth a problem like this for the next four or five years.

If they offer some type of fix, I will definitely come back here to post it.

Good luck!

Jan 4, 2014 10:25 AM in response to Nikool

Mine mbp is doing the same thing. After sleep, it won't wake up, no matter what keys I pressed.

I got my mbp on Black Friday. It was working just fine for a few weeks. Then the past couple weeks I noticed there is the sleep/wake issue. This is very annoying.

There is one thing strange I did when it DOES wake up. I tilt my mbp kind of slowly to about 45 degrees, like a "V" on a flat surface. Then the login screen comes on. I had to login while in this position. Then I used "Caffeine" to keep it on, seems then this will prevent it from going to sleep again. Without turning on "Caffeine," it would just go to sleep right away. Then I had to login in the "V" position again. Don't know if this is just my unit specific.

Another thing I am testing now, is by going to System Preference -> Energy Saver

- for Power Source settings, I had the following:

1) display turn off => Never

2) Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off => CHECKED

3) Put hard disks to sleep when possible => UNCHECKED

- I have SSD, I would think HD sleep is more for the discs when it's spinning.

4) Wake for Wi-Fi network access => CHECKED

5) Enable Power Nap while plugged into a power adapter => UNCHECKED

Will update after a few days on how this fair.

Jan 4, 2014 10:44 AM in response to Nikool

Both (xzhuang) and (Nikool) need to post seperate threads on your issues. It can become very confusing when trying to help the original poster and then others hop in with, ( I have the same issue). This not only confuses the issue you are not able to award the person helping that This solved my question - 10 points or http:/This helped me - 5 points

Jul 23, 2014 9:10 PM in response to marta152

I just read through this entire thread looking for something that I have not tried yet. It seem like there are a lot of very similar problems which may or may not have the same root cause but this was my problem: I've got a mid 2009 15" MBP and I've been on Mavericks since it came out with no problems until about 2 months ago when my MBP would no longer come back from sleep. It didn't matter how long I set the sleep timeout 5 minutes or 5 hours. It didn't matter if it was on battery or power. It didn't matter if it times out, or if I closed the lid, or if I pushed the power button. If the laptop went to sleep, when you tried to wake it the screen would come on and the keyboard would light up but the screen was frozen and only a hard reset would restore things. I even tried wiping the hard drive and restoring from Time Machine. It worked for a few days but then I was right back where I was before. When I got to page 17 of this thread Sleep/wake crash OSX Mavericks, Macbook Air 2013 I saw something that made me think. The user Shaun7777 had AirParrot installed which I had also. I had not used it in ages but had used it around the time when I started having the problem. I went to the AirParrot website and followed the instruction to fully remove the software and the drives and my MBP will sleep properly now. I know that not everyone who has this problem is running AirParrot but my guess is that there are other software programs that employ drivers in the same way that AirParrot does and which does not seem to be compatible with Mavericks. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, I hope that helps someone.

Paul

my late 2013 13 inch MBP retina will not wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.