Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep/wake crash OSX Mavericks, Macbook Air 2013

Hi there,

Since the upgrade to Mavericks my 2013 Macbook Air had a few sleep wake crashes. The problem occurs when my air turns to sleep, and I try to wake it with the keyboard within a very short time.(1-3 seconds I think) Happened a few times when I was typing and accidently pressed the on/off button while typing(which is a really stupid feature in the new OSX if you ask me) and a few times when I tried to safe my laptop from going to sleep because it was idle for to long, and just got there to late. What happens is that the Macbook just gives a black screen, but is still on. I cant let it sleep by closing the lid, and the only way to get it running again is by restarting.(holding down the on/off button)

Couldnt find anything similar to this. So i'm hoping if this is a common problem with Mavericks and is on the list to be fixed with the new patch.

I hope you guys have some info.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 5:37 AM

353 replies

Nov 11, 2013 10:14 PM in response to Kenny Wiess

I've got the same problem! I have to hard reset the MBA with the power button. I'm thinking that it's one of Mavericks' new power management "features" like app nap. Also, have you noticed that your Finder has been excruciatingly slow, particularly when trying to open a file in a program? The little spinner just spins for what feels like an eternity until it finally finds the files in the directory, when all you wanted to do was quickly download a picture to your pictures folder instead of downloads?

I didn't have these problems with Mountain Lion, and my MBA was super fast. Now I find my Mac to be less usable, and much less reliable, not to mention that I can't downgrade to a version of OS X that was working very well for me.

Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM.

Nov 14, 2013 12:27 PM in response to Kenny Wiess

I have iMac mid 2010. I experienced the same problem since I upgraded my system to Mavericks: when the display goes to sleep it won't wake up again. Mouse click and key press won't wake it up even though the computer itself is on. After turning the computer off and turn it on again I receive a sleep wake failure bug report. I have reported the bug with a system report to Apple through Apple Bug Reporter.

Nov 16, 2013 8:40 AM in response to hezr

This is happening to me too. Several times, when I was working on my MBA mid 2013, eg listening to music or talking on skype, the screen went completely black, but the whole computer was working (the keybord was still shining). However I was unable to make it work unless pressing the turn on/off button. There was also some strange sound going from my mac...

Nov 19, 2013 11:43 AM in response to Kenny Wiess

Same problem here, MBA 13" 2013, finally annoyed me enough, so with a took a bit of testing, I am able to reproduce the "crash" I think this happed occasionally on a previous MBP 2012 (Mountain Lion), but I'd have to try to reproduce on that machine to know for sure. I am going to try SMC reset later once I have my power supply and I will report back.

Nov 19, 2013 5:57 PM in response to zablaster

It appears I'm having the identical problem with my four day old late 2013 15" MBP shutting down and restarting with a Sleep Wake Failure. Based on this and related threads I've looked for rascally legacy software:

-Sound Flower

-Norton

-Virtual Box

But none of these usualy suspects are present.

I just turned off "Power Nap" in the "Energy Saver" section of "System Preferences" but won't know the results until tomorrow as it seems to only misbehaves when I'm not paying attention to it.

In the meantime I'll keep looking for info on a fix and I'll post back if I find anything.

Here's the top bit of the VERY long error readout:

Date/Time: 2013-11-18 23:12:47 -0500

OS Version: 10.9 (Build 13A3017)

Architecture: x86_64

Report Version: 18

Event: Sleep Wake Failure

Steps: 51

Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3

Active cpus: 8

Sleep/wake crash OSX Mavericks, Macbook Air 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.