Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound after sleep

Is anyone else having a problem on their Mac (mines the rMBP late 2013) where the sound doesn't work after sleep?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 4:24 AM

114 replies

Dec 9, 2013 8:34 PM in response to Nat82

I think it is the software issue. I let my laptop sleep while the headphone was plugged in. After wake up, the sound was gone almost. Sometimes the first wakeup does not cause it. But if no headphone plugged in, it never happens. That is what happens with my newest Macbook Pro retina late 2013 running OSX Mavericks. So, my solution is to pull out the headphone before my lap goes to bed.

Dec 11, 2013 6:34 PM in response to Nat82

Have had the same problem. No sound after coming out of sleep mode. It doesn't always happen after the first sleep process. But if i do 2 or 3 sleeps then it is guaranteed to lose all sound.

Went through all the help steps with apple care. Still didn't solve the problem. Definitely an annoying bug. Basically you have to reboot to get the sound back.

Also, I notice that the sound issue is worse using google chrome browser. Sometimes if my sound goes dead and I don't want to reboot to see a youtube video, I just open up firefox and the sound works in there.

Other times, the entire system loses sound (like right now as I'm typing this). So **** annoying!

Apple needs to fix this ASAP! 😠

Dec 18, 2013 10:47 AM in response to akaravashkin

The same problem stil exists after the update to 10.9.1 and also can not be fixed using a terminal command from a recent CNET article by Topher Kessler on how to reset your sound system.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57615794-263/how-to-reset-the-audio-system- in-os-x/

So if my sound stops I must reboot or never put the laptop to sleep with headphones or speakers attached. I have no idea how long the computer must sleep before the sound output dies but it takes a while. AS I said earlier, a lot of things are still running when sleep mode is on. Leave your MacBook Pro in sleep mode overnight and check the time stamps on your console logs the next morning and you will find a lot of stuff logged while you were sleeping.

Dec 18, 2013 11:07 AM in response to georosejr

There is one thing left out about the command prompt fix above. While it didn't revive my attached external speakers it did allow the sound to return when I disconnected the audio cable from the external port. The internal peakers started to play again which didn't happen before without a reboot. Reconnecting the external speakers or headphones again did not make any sound. When I went to check the sound setting in preferences the sound was set to audio out rather than internal speakers but the mute box was checked. I don't recall noticing that in the past and don't know if it had anything to do with the audio reset command that I typed into Terminal. When I unchecked the mute box the sound blasted out at a very high volume and everything is normal now without requiring a reboot. I will have to wait until tommorrow and see if it repeats the same phenomena again. Apple still has to do something about this problem.

No sound after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.