Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlists Not Updating on iPod

I've added new songs to my iTunes library via iTunes and the smart playlists in iTunes have updated (recently added, best this month), so I can see the new songs/albums in my itunes library and in the smart playlists in iTunes, yet they have not transferred over to my iPod. I have tried to sync my iPod via USB and the playlists still haven't updated. My iPT5g is running the latest firmware and iTunes is also running the latest firmware.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 9:00 AM

20 replies

Nov 12, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Ross93

Its apparent that Apple has broken this functionality on IOS7. Proof of that is easily explained because I've had the same smart playlists for years, and have used them to sync to multiple Apple devices.

Currently any device NOT running IOS7 continue to sync smart playlists correctly.

Currently any device running IOS7 does not sync smart playlists correctly.

I have:

Apple Ipod Classic 160GB - Smart Playlists update and work fine.

Apple Iphone 4 (old phone used for an ipod), running IOS6 - works fine.

Apple Iphone 5 (IOS7) - doesn't sync smart playlists

Apple Ipad mini (IOS7) - doesn't sync smart playlists.

I've already removed all music from from the devices and re-synced... I"ve watched the smart playlist begin to build and then once the sync is complete remove the majority of the content and add things to it that shouldn't be on it.

Nov 19, 2013 6:23 PM in response to HighNDrye

I have to agree, HighNDrye. It isn't recent, as in the last couple minor releases, but has bugging the poop out of me for a while. Why does my ipod touch first generation get it all, and get it right, and my iphone 4s fail to have half my music? Very frustrating. Thanks for independent confirmation.

Off to copy my smartlist contents to static lists to have *some* functionality.

Nov 20, 2013 11:07 AM in response to the fiend

If I didn't keep bumping it my thread will have went unnoticed and I wouldn't have received a reply. It's not cool but I would have never otherwise received a response. Yes I've tried everything, I have entire music library selected so it should be syncing. It seems to update once in a while, usually after a minor software update to iOS 7, e.g. iOS 7.0.3 to 7.0.4. But it's not updating automatically as it should be. It's just another bug apple need to fix it seems. Before iOS 7.0.4, I would come across a new bug in the music.app frequently. It seems iOS 7.0.4 has fixed many but it's still not as stable as it should be. And smart playlists need fixed.

Nov 20, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Ross93

Ross93 wrote:

If I didn't keep bumping it my thread will have went unnoticed and I wouldn't have received a reply. It's not cool but I would have never otherwise received a response.

Well -

- I was being polite. It's not only "not cool", but its goes against Apple's Terms of Use. It is also not necessary to bump after just two hours. This is a worldwide forum and it's possible that someone with the answer to your question is asleep on the other side of the world to you at the time you posted and repeatedly bumped.

If you had browsed throught the other threads here, you would have noticed that you're not the only one to be having issues with Playlists changes not transferring to your iPod. In fact, the number of posts about it suggests to me that there is a problem as a result of iOS7.

So you can do two things, should you wish:

1. Look through recent discussions about Playlist update problems (rather than the "more like this" section, which will give you results prior to iOS7) to see if anyone has figured out a solution;
  2. Wait for the next update to iOS7 and see if that fixes it.

Nov 22, 2013 2:51 PM in response to Ross93

It seems to be a bug but here is a workaround that I just found out.

Create a 'New Playlist Folder' and place the smart playlists which are not auto updating into this folder. This has seemed to have solved the problem for me. Not ideal, but until it's fixed it's better than nothing.

EDIT: Worked until I tried to synch my iPod to iTunes again then it failed.

Smart Playlists Not Updating on iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.