Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fax Modem for Mavericks

Are there any fax modems that will work on my new iMac running Mavericks 10.9

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), late 2013

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 2:45 PM

27 replies

Nov 9, 2013 7:46 PM in response to Harris Miller

Harris Miller wrote:

Are there any fax modems that will work on my new iMac running Mavericks 10.9

A several years ago I bought a fax modem when an OS X update stopped working with my Apple fax modem. It's labeled "FU-02" and seems to be the same thing as what is identified as a "CX-FU02". I connected it to my Mavericks Mac and can see it in a print dialog, although I didn't try connecting a phone cable to it.

It's not obvious to me just where you can buy such a thing, although a little Web searching will probably show you a source.

Nov 15, 2013 11:00 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

User uploaded fileI plugged it directly into the iMac ( no hub). It shows up in the "Printers Scanners list". In the "Network"list it shows "Usb Modem Not connected". When I try to connect I get the message above. I checked the phone line with one of my phones & it is good, I get a dial tone on the line. I have written US Robotics but they have not responded in 3 or 4 days so I'm waiting.

Harris

Nov 15, 2013 11:58 AM in response to Harris Miller

Harris Miller wrote:

I know that but it is a place to check the status of the modem. Yes in the System Prefs.

Maybe so, but the message "Usb Modem Not connected" may just be telling you is that there's no network connection on the far side of the modem, which shouldn't be a surprise.

What happens if you invoke a print dialog? Do you see the modem in the list of available printers? If so, you should be able to fax.

Nov 18, 2013 3:45 PM in response to reademandweep

I finally got the message below from USR. I followed their instructions & it worked!!

User uploaded file

Thank you for choosing USRobotics.

Your case number for this issue is: 301667052

Your initial email was replied to on November 13, 2013. Below the reply we provided you to configure the modem:

After reading your e-mail I understand that you would like to know if the modem is in fact compatible to Mac OSX 10.9 Maverick. Yes the USR5637 is compatible with Mac OSX 10.9.

If you will use the modem for a dial up connection to the Internet follow these steps:

1- In the System Preferences, open the Network.

2- Once in the Network section, click on the USB Modem and click on Advanced.

3- Make sure that under Vendor and Model the USR5637 is correctly selected.

4- In the PPP tab make sure the Use Verbose login check box is checked.

5- Fill the Username, Password and Phone number with your ISP information and click on Connect.

If you will use the modem for faxing follow the steps below:

1- In the System Preferences, open the Printer & Scanner or Printer & Faxes depending of your Mas OSX version.

2- Once in the Printer & Scanner or Printer & Faxes, if the devices shows up as an external modem you need to remove it. If the device is not listed skip to step 3.

3- Click on the add button and on the window that comes up, click on the fax tab at the top of the window, you should see a USB modem listed.

3- Complete the on screen steps to Add a USB modem.

I hope this helps.

Again, thank you for choosing USRobotics.

Nov 18, 2013 3:47 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

I finally got the message below from USR. I followed their instructions & it worked!!

User uploaded file

Thank you for choosing USRobotics.

Your case number for this issue is: 301667052

Your initial email was replied to on November 13, 2013. Below the reply we provided you to configure the modem:

After reading your e-mail I understand that you would like to know if the modem is in fact compatible to Mac OSX 10.9 Maverick. Yes the USR5637 is compatible with Mac OSX 10.9.

If you will use the modem for a dial up connection to the Internet follow these steps:

1- In the System Preferences, open the Network.

2- Once in the Network section, click on the USB Modem and click on Advanced.

3- Make sure that under Vendor and Model the USR5637 is correctly selected.

4- In the PPP tab make sure the Use Verbose login check box is checked.

5- Fill the Username, Password and Phone number with your ISP information and click on Connect.

If you will use the modem for faxing follow the steps below:

1- In the System Preferences, open the Printer & Scanner or Printer & Faxes depending of your Mas OSX version.

2- Once in the Printer & Scanner or Printer & Faxes, if the devices shows up as an external modem you need to remove it. If the device is not listed skip to step 3.

3- Click on the add button and on the window that comes up, click on the fax tab at the top of the window, you should see a USB modem listed.

3- Complete the on screen steps to Add a USB modem.

I hope this helps.

Again, thank you for choosing USRobotics.

Jan 21, 2014 2:51 PM in response to Harris Miller

Hi Harris,

Where in the world are you based?

Reason I ask is I want a Mac (Mavericks) compatible modem which will work with UK CLI so that I can use it to pop-up the Calling Line Identiity of inbound calls from my Analogue phone line.

AFAIK this modem supports CLI but I think different countries have differnet CLI standards so would like to know if it works in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Fax Modem for Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.