Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to Change View Options for ALL Finder Windows?

I know how to set the view options for each Finder window (text size, sorting, etc.), but is there a way to apply these setting to every Finder window I will open in the future? If so, how?

For example if I change the settings to what I want and click the "Use as Default" box, it only make them the default for that paricular window - not any other.

User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Use as Defaults is supposed to carry over to all newly opened Finder windows, but it doesn't change any previously opened windows. If you want to revert all previously opened windows to that view, follow these steps:

Launch the Terminal app (in /Applications/Utilities/), copy & paste this command into the window that pops up, and hit the return key:

sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm {} \;

At the Password: prompt, carefully enter your admin password, since nothing shows up on the screen, and hit the return key. When the default prompt, usually the $ sign, pops up again, quit the Terminal app, restart, and open a Finder window, set it up the way you want, and click on Use as Defaults button. All subsequently opened or created folders should retain that view.

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Nov 12, 2013 12:26 PM in response to GreenAppleCore In response to GreenAppleCore

Hello there, GreenAppleCore.

The following Knowledge Base article provides some great pointers in regards to your question:

Mac Basics: Modify your windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2487

Particularly:

Change the view and view options

User uploaded file

• Depending on your window's view, you can modify how it displays its contents.
  • To change a Finder window's view, click the appropriate button in the toolbar, or choose as Icons, as List, as Columns, or as Cover Flow from the View menu. (For more information on Finder window views, see The Finder.)
  • To customize the window further by view, choose View > Show View Options.
  • If you choose List, Icons, Columns, or Cover Flow view, you can choose whether to apply your settings to only the current window or to all windows. Select the appropriate checkbox at the top of the View options window.
  • In each view option you can modify what displayed and viewable. For example, with Columns view you can modify the text size, and icon and preview column visibility. In List view, you can modify the icon and text size, select what file information to display in columns, and more.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Nov 12, 2013 12:26 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 12, 2013 2:05 PM in response to pedro d In response to pedro d

Thanks for your reply, Pedro.

I've already changed the view preferences in Finder and it works fine for one window,...

BUT what I want is for those view settings to be applied globally for EVERY Finder window. It's a little annoying having the settings changed in only the folders I've updated.

Nov 12, 2013 2:05 PM

Reply Helpful (4)
Question marked as Solved

Nov 12, 2013 2:36 PM in response to GreenAppleCore In response to GreenAppleCore

Use as Defaults is supposed to carry over to all newly opened Finder windows, but it doesn't change any previously opened windows. If you want to revert all previously opened windows to that view, follow these steps:

Launch the Terminal app (in /Applications/Utilities/), copy & paste this command into the window that pops up, and hit the return key:

sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm {} \;

At the Password: prompt, carefully enter your admin password, since nothing shows up on the screen, and hit the return key. When the default prompt, usually the $ sign, pops up again, quit the Terminal app, restart, and open a Finder window, set it up the way you want, and click on Use as Defaults button. All subsequently opened or created folders should retain that view.

Nov 12, 2013 2:36 PM

Reply Helpful (15)

Dec 31, 2014 3:56 AM in response to baltwo In response to baltwo

Hi Baltwo. I hope you don't mind me latching on here quickly.

Your command above works as advertised for me. What I tend to do for myself and others is make them into Automator applications and embed the command into an Applescript..

Usually in this way when using sudo in one, instead of ;

sudo ******* ******, you might type;

do shell script "******* ******" with administrator privileges.

My problem is when there are quotes in the actual command itself as per below. How might I get around this, (I think the semi colon may present an issue too)?

on run {input, parameters}

do shdo shell script "find / -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm {} \;" with administrator privileges

returreturn input

endend run

Dec 31, 2014 3:56 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 31, 2014 4:27 AM in response to baltwo In response to baltwo

Cool, thanks for that. Seems to have half solved things. The semi colon though is an issue.

I get the following message;

Expected “"” but found unknown token.

(The semi is highlighted and appears immediately before the quote mark).

BTW, shall I start a new thread do you think?

Dec 31, 2014 4:27 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: GreenAppleCore

Question: How to Change View Options for ALL Finder Windows?