Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s playing video from iCloud takes up all free storage space and phone to crash

Hello All,

Traded in my 32GB iPhone 5 for a 16GB iPhone 5s today. Using the iPhone's built in "Video" app and streaming videos purchased in iTunes will sometimes cause the phone to freeze and fill of the phone's free space until the indicates free bytes in usage says 0. It seems like it is a software glitch as the phone works perfectly fine everyone else. I'm running iOS 7.0.3. I've also tried restoring the phone, which hasn't help.

Has anyone run into this before or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Regards,

Chris

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 1:25 AM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5353130

Found my answer in the above tread. I hope this helps other people. Seems to be a serious bug if it allows the video stream cache to fill up the device until 0 bytes are available for storage. :/ Atleast that is what happens to me.

2 replies

Dec 29, 2013 8:04 PM in response to ToBeHuman

I've encountered the same issue tonight. Decided to purchase a movie and NOT download it to the iPhone 5S, but instead play it from the Videos app...which supposedly streams it from iCloud.

Half way through the film, a message informs me that I have low storage space. I check storage - 0kb.

I throw away 1.2GB of old apps and various pics / vids in my camera roll, then finish the movie. Just after watching, another message pops up...that 1.2GB was consumed as I watched the rest of the film.

It's almost as if the film was downloaded to the phone...taking up space (what was the point of "streaming" it from iCloud if it was going to take up such a great amount of space on the phone?) But it wasn't in my videos app as downloaded. I was missing 3 - 3.5 GB of space. There was no way to clear the cache. I tried everything (and I used to work for Apple as a highly competent iOS technical support advisor, so I DO mean everything).

In the end I decided to stop fooling with it and just erase the contents of the phone and restore to a backup.

But this is a SERIOUS bug in this system. I know "streaming movies from icloud" was a new feature with iOS 7...I hope they resolve this. Until then, I'll download movies if I want to watch them.

iPhone 5s playing video from iCloud takes up all free storage space and phone to crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.