Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frame rate issue with Geforce 750m on late-2013 15" MBP models

I am seeing atrocious frame rate issues running Half Life 2 on my new Retina MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2013) with the dedicated Geforce 750m. Most of the time, the frame rate is perfect, as you would expect, but in some areas, it drops so low as to render the game unplayable. Turning down all the graphic settings in the game barely helps, it still remains choppy.

The weird thing is that using the gfxCardStatus tool and choosing the "Integrated-Only mode" seems to solve the issue, which makes no sense in my mind. Why would the integrated graphics have better performance than the dedicated card?

This is extremely disconcerting for such an expensive machine running a game that is almost 10 years old.

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

All updates are installed, including the MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update 1.2.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 5:47 AM

20 replies

Nov 18, 2013 5:45 AM in response to Parsout

Glad to see I'm not alone with this issue. I've been unable to fix the framerate issue with the 750m. However, the good news is that the Iris Pro is very capable when it comes to running Half Life 2. Using the tool I mentioned, you can effectively force the use of the integrated video card to pass the problematic sequences which seem to be few and far between so far. I've only experienced it twice and I'm half way through Ravenholm.

I've also tried playing (and benchmarking) the Lost Coast level and the 750m handled it flawlessly. So it seems to be a very specific issue with Half Life 2 itself.

Nov 22, 2013 5:11 AM in response to lpellerin

Hi lpellerin,

After a decent test I can pretty much confirm the same deal here.

I set the app to discrete (750M) and had much smoother gameplay at full resolution, with everything turned up to the absolute max. However at maybe 2 or 3 points so far It does slow down considerably - it seems that even 'turning around' and facing the other way at these points is enough to go instantly back to smooth (and vice versa).

Set to Integrated (iris) the game runs slightly sluggish with the above settings, however if I sacrifice a little resolution and some filtering/aliasing it is close to the performance of the 750M albeit slightly jerky. I do notice a frame rate drop at the same points which makes the 750M almost stop cold, however with the Iris it just keeps running fairly smoothly.

mgarces132 - I hope your right about the update - it seems as though this new MacBook Pro should be able to handle HL2 with ease!

Another thing I noticed - when running with the discrete card, the computer gets fairly warm - but the fan doesn't come on. However with the iris running, the computer gets quite warm to hot, and the fans run at full tilt. Nothing wrong with that as I understand it thats how the MBP's run, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Dec 10, 2013 1:40 PM in response to lpellerin

Hi,

I have the exact problem in OSX except my problem is in Minecraft instead of HL2. I experience better FPS when I forced the integrated Iris, which probably means that the game itself is not graphic intensive, but the dedicated GPU is just performing subpar to our expectations. I truly hope there will be a fix for this soon. Please let me know if you have any solutions to this problem.

Mar 14, 2014 8:49 AM in response to lpellerin

Exactly the same problem. I'm a VJ (Visual Jockey), and i use Resolume 4. The problem is very clear Specially when i go on extended screen, my frame rates go as low as 20fps.

I also did a small research on the codecs:

On Photo-JPEG, which is CPU rendered Codec, the FPS is dropping in a very agressive way, 15 to 25 FPS.

On DXV, which is a GPU rendered Codec, the FPS is also dropping in a very agressive way, 15 to 25 FPS.

On H264, I am getting much better performance and the FPS is reaching up to 50+ FPS.

I bought 2 MacBook Pro Retina 2013-2014 with NVIDIA 750Ms, and i am facing the same problem on Both. They were bought for my Performance needs, and now i can not use them.

Also, the gfxCardStatus tool is not being useful.

I need a solution ASAP, as my investment is not giving me anything in return, and this is not Fair.

Thanks.

Moses Magharian

www.EyeSeeExperience.com

facebook.com/EyeSeeExperience

Mar 23, 2014 5:40 PM in response to lpellerin

I have the same issue. Installed Half Life 2 today. Running late Macbook Pro with the 750M graphics card. Two areas so far has grinded the gameplay to a halt. Lowering graphics settings seemed to have very little effect.

Someone above seemed frustrated and thought this has anything to do with insufficient hardware. Rest assured that the hardware is certainly not the issue here. This computer has enough juice to run Half Life backwards and forwards at the same time. No, this is something else.

Drivers? Some other compatibility?

Any clues?

Oct 7, 2014 8:18 PM in response to lpellerin

I too am having this exact same issue. I've switched over to the Iris integrated graphics and it works nicely. However, this is an unacceptable fix. I wanted to play Half-Life 2 via HDMI with a controller on a television to show to my girlfriend, but now I can't as the integrated graphics will not allow HDMI to run. Half-Life 2 is running absolutely terribly with the GT 750m. I'm wondering if this is a driver issue, because this is unacceptable!

Nov 26, 2014 4:52 PM in response to lpellerin

Yep. Half Life 2 with AA disabled and everything else on high runs very choppy in certain areas using the 750M on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina which has an i7 2.6GHz with 16GB. Running Yosemite 10.10.1. Installed latest CUDA driver as well from NVidia. Nope. Still choppy in areas. No reason this 10 year old game should run like this on such fast hardware. I also have noticed polygon artifacts and disappearing objects, etc. in the game.

Frame rate issue with Geforce 750m on late-2013 15" MBP models

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.